Green! Dont make me laugh.

Reaction score
So the charges to drive a vehicle in London [and elsewhere in the UK] are to rise to save the world from global warming?
Yet in China, and all developing countries they dont give a damn......... Production, production,production,= Money, money,money.
It appears to me that, Brits accept to pay taxes/levies for the likes of the aforementioned. Why do we have to endure this treatment? the poll tax [IMHO] was a fair taxation system yet it caused a riot and voted out of favour, though now, people who were against it have since recognised it to be a mistake in having it abolished.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6146442.stm

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
So driving a 4x4 car every day in London would cost almost £10k/year? Might as well get taxi's everywhere. :eek:

I don't live in London so I can't comment on what the traffic is like there, but they have made part of Manchester car-free and it has made a big difference. There are plenty of cheap buses (50p for some places, or £2/week weekly pass on a few routes), and for commuters loads of free buses that go all over town that anyone can get on for nothing (calls at all train stations plus major points).

Does anyone here live in a congestion zone and have to pay this just because they live there?

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
So driving a 4x4 car every day in London would cost almost £10k/year? Might as well get taxi's everywhere. :eek:
Its not just 4X4s it is the size of engine. the problem in London is since the terrorist attack most people are afraid to travel by public transport, I for one will never ever go to London again, [it is going to happen again] and it makes me :mad:

but they have made part of Manchester car-free and it has made a big difference. There are plenty of cheap buses (50p for some places, or £2/week weekly pass on a few routes), and for commuters loads of free buses that go all over town that anyone can get on for nothing (calls at all train stations plus major points).
that is more realistic. But what if?
Does anyone here live in a congestion zone and have to pay this just because they live there?

Nope I dont.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My thoughts:

The poll tax was unfair.

The poll tax riots rocked.

The poll tax riots showed that Britons won't take everything lying down, they repeated what Wat Tyler got up to back in the fifteenth century.

Ken Livingstone used to be my hero, I worked for the GLC at one time.

I don't live in a Congestion Charge area but have to pay £8.00 daily if I want to drive through London or have some work in that area.

All my life one little pleasure of mine has been to drive freely around London. To drive across Waterloo Bridge early in the morning still makes me smile, but now I have to pay eight quid for the privilege.

Now I'd like to put a noose round Ken Livingstone's neck and swing him from Waterloo Bridge. Yes, I feel that strongly about it.

Penny pinching nerdy little foul mouthed greedy warped self-righteous arrogant pillock is what our Ken is.

As for staying away from London, that's letting the terrorists win. At the moment I'm commuting every weekday by train from Greenwich to Waterloo to visit St. Thomas' Hospital, which is opposite the Houses Of Parliament. No terrorist scumbag is going to frighten me away from my own back yard.

If I die, I die, but I'll go knowing they never ever frightened me.

And do you really think the atrocities would stop if we pulled out of Iraq and Afghanistan? No they wouldn't, the fanatics don't need an excuse, they just want all non-muslims dead and...... OOPS! Stop right there Mr Flops, you're ranting, almost talking politics and going off into a dangerous area, so just
tapedshut.gif

Ok then :blush:

Anyway, stuff the congestion charge :)

Reaction score
As for staying away from London, that's letting the terrorists win.

No I meant, I will not go to London as for the cost incurred to give to our Ken:) , I lived in London at 33, Norfolk Sq Paddington. for two years back in the 60s I loved it there
nod.gif
would have stayed but work forced me to move back home:)

The poll tax riots showed that Britons won't take everything lying down,
Thats the problem we are... At the moment?

OOPS! Stop right there Mr Flops, you're ranting, almost talking politics and going off into a dangerous area, so just
tapedshut.gif
Nearly got ya;)
laughingsmiley.gif

Now I'd like to put a noose round Ken Livingstone's neck and swing him from Waterloo Bridge. Yes, I feel that strongly about it.
Wanna hand:D