Bent coppers.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"It beggars belief that our police, who are supposed to be solving crime, are suspected of fraud on a grand scale."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8100551.stm

The good old Met cream of british police
laughingsmiley.gif

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ever heard the expression "more in than out" springs to mind!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
This story is well old now, as have been a few on the BBC news site recently.....I would rather they produced news rather than history :rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I was actually going to post about this tazer story - Link.

When I first watched it I thought 'tut tut' with the City protest fatality and assaults fresh in my mind.

But then I got to thinking.

The old Bill had been called to a disturbance at a pub so it was very likely the suspect they were trying to arrest was drunk and the police claim he'd already chinned one of them, hospitalising the plod.

That's a possibility I suppose, but we only got the copper's word for it.

However, what is plain is that the geezer did not want to come quietly.

So what are the old Bill supposed to do? Do they say 'Oh my God he's struggling, we may be in danger of asssault here, we best not touch him and let him go'.

I mean, what would you do? If he's a suspect and he's not going to go quietly I'd tazer him as well I reckon, weighing up all the odds in this particular case.

Maybe the plod giving several right-handers to him was somewhat over-enthusiastic but the tazer didn't seem to quieten the suspect, not even two goes of it, and he had also probably just chinned one of his mates so I think sometimes some leeway is possible.

Sometimes a copper's job is awkward and downright dangerous, other times policemen, especially the younger ones with little experience, tend to get punch drunk under pressure. They are, after all, only human.

In my life I've had many experiences with our upholders of law and order, some good, some bad but I say and admit that the only times I have been beaten by the boys in blue I've mostly deserved it.

I have also been framed by some sweaty lard-arsed CID sargeant on a drugs charge when I was 22 years old, laughed out of court, fortunately for me :D

I could go on with police stories but the point I'm making here is why are people getting so upset cos the police roughed up a drunk. If the suspect had assaulted them in his drunkeness they'd be applauding the police for giving him a larruping.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There are bad eggs in every profession and we'll never get rid of that, but I have to say I think the police do a damn good job 99.9% of the time. Hearing some of the stories from friends in the force/security related jobs makes you appreciate what a hard job it is, some of the things that they have to deal with are so detached from what most people will encounter (and thankfully so), so it's hard to appreciate what we'd do under the same circumstances. Of course, that's no excuse for the credit card scam linked to above or any of the bad things that do happen - I just wanted to stick up for the vast majority that do a very good job :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I mean, what would you do?

Those tazers can kill folk, admitedly in a very small amount of cases.

One good whack with one of them extending truncheon things across the thigh and 99.9999999999999% of folk will drop like a stone and be easily managed.

:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I was applauding the police for giving him a larruping.

captain zed said:
I always wondered how larruping was spelt....
Zzzzz

You have misquoted me.

Should have read:

floppybootstomp said:
...they'd be applauding the police for giving him a larruping.

If you must quote me please get it right.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Those tazers can kill folk, admitedly in a very small amount of cases.

So can tripping over a paving stone.

If some drunken fella, blind to reason, came swinging and kicking at you threatening to rip your head off, I suspect you may find a tazer a rather handy thing to have ;)

Agreed a whack from one of those things could bring on heart failure but there's a risk in most everything everyone of us do.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
If some drunken fella, blind to reason, came swinging and kicking at you threatening to rip your head off, I suspect you may find a tazer a rather handy thing to have ;)

Providing I wasn't tottaly paralletic I'm confident that a " drunken fella, blind to reason" would be no problem for me. Hardest part would be deciding which technique to use on him. Stopping him with no physical damage to him, hospitalising him with minor injuries or serious ones , or putting him away permenantly. Depends on why he was attacking me and how kind I was feeling at he time I guess.

:D

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
You have misquoted me.

Should have read:

If you must quote me please get it right.

Sorry about that Flopps......just goes to show how stuff can get twisted. Also i wouldnt mind having a tazer...my days of scrapping are disappearing rapidly.....and if people get pi**ed and start trouble with innocent folk well, give it to them.
Zzzzz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Providing I wasn't tottaly paralletic I'm confident that a " drunken fella, blind to reason" would be no problem for me. Hardest part would be deciding which technique to use on him. Stopping him with no physical damage to him, hospitalising him with minor injuries or serious ones , or putting him away permenantly. Depends on why he was attacking me and how kind I was feeling at he time I guess.

:D

Ohh, you're so tough, crush me a grape big boy.

I sometimes think I have an overwhelming feminine side cos I have never ever liked fighting.

Let's face it, it hurts. I'd much rather drink a pint with a fella than punch him.

I'm also not that bloody good at fighting, truth be told, but I will fight if I have to.

I do realise by stating that, some may even question my sexuality, lol

Best bet, in my experience, is a sideways kick to the shin, hard, resulting in a satisfying crack. They don't expect that and I have used it twice, though didn't feel good about it.

Have been bashed more often though, lol

The day will come, Abarb, and probably sooner than you think cos you is a similar age to me, where we can't even defend ourselves cos we is too old.

Not yet but one day that is not too far away that will happen.

Maybe then you'll be grateful Mr Plod will take down the drunken agressor. That's if there's any about, haha

The follow up story to the Nottingham Tazer incident included a quote from a senior Nottingham officer who pointed out that their training recommended repeated us of a tazer until the offending persn is subdued so the video footage does not even break goverment recommended guidelines (if we can believe him).

Whether those guidelines are good or not is open to question.

How you look at these issues of course is influenced, to some extent, by political persuasion and personal experience.

I have a whole range of personal influences, shifting political persuasions and overall recognise the police as a neccessary evil.

I do wonder though when foolish young officers post on Facebook the day before the G9 city protests that he's 'Looking forward to bashing a few hippies' whether we do get the best choice of public servants :rolleyes:

And still the selection process lets fools and thugs slip though in great numbers eh?

Is a potential police recruit driven to join The Job by a desire to bring harmony or a desire to punish?

Think about it, it's a fine line.

Reaction score
Floppybootstomp said:
So what are the old Bill supposed to do? Do they say 'Oh my God he's struggling, we may be in danger of asssault here, we best not touch him and let him go'.

And had the filth stood back and let this man carry on bee drunk and unruly and had this man hurt somebody, everybody would have said, why hadn't the filth interveened..? Bit like your man on Stockwell tube. HAd he been carrying a bomb and police let him go and he killed 250 people, then everybody would cry why didn't they do shyte, so they did and everybody still crys..I say bollox..If you want to get ****ed and cause trouble and break the law, then you get restrained by whatever means possible. And for those of you that don't know I was a South African copper, so this sort of thing in the clip is pretty taime if you ask me...

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
So can tripping over a paving stone.

Agreed a whack from one of those things could bring on heart failure but there's a risk in most everything everyone of us do.

Im sure smashing someone to bits can do the same :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:
Im sure smashing someone to bits can do the same :D

Quite possibly old boy, quite possibly ;)

I am also intrigued as to why Mr MadX, himself an ex law enforcement officer, should constantly refer to our boys in blue as 'The filth'.

This is a derogatory term usually only used by football thugs, hardened lags, petty criminals, drug dealers, those wishing to sound hard and all of those poor souls recently caught speeding by a police officer with a hand held speed gun.

Odd :confused:

Reaction score
Pigs, filth & rozzers just some of the nicer names you can write on a family forum!

Ask a Question