I would be grateful for any comments or advice on the advantages /
disadvantages of converting XLS to EXE.

If you want to have a look at the converted file its the Excel Function
Dictionary at www.xlfdic.com

The free program I used to convert from XLS to EXE is called XLtoEXE
and is at http://orlando.mvps.org/index.asp#XLtoExe

Thanks.

Peter Noneley
Cardiff (overcast and wet)
Wales
UK

Roger Govier

Hi Peter

I have no knowledge of this technique, and can therefore not offer any
comments as to its suitability or whether there might be problems.
I have however, downloaded the .exe file and run it.
It worked very successfully for me and did not interfere with an
existing instance of Excel that I had loaded.

Windows XP Professional, XL2003

Bob Phillips

Peter,

It works (even in 2007), and seems to function just as the old Excel file.

It just seems to create another instance of Excel and open a workbook within
that. Trying to access the VBA seems to close it down, but the extra Excel
instance seems a big overhead (Excel 2007 is about 4 times memory basic of
2003).

Other than that, it bypasses Excel security warning (good idea?), and hides
the code. Maybe (defeibitely) I will write to Orlando and see if he can load
into an existing Excel instance (or maybe ask).

--
---
HTH

Bob

Peter Noneley

Bob, Roger.

Thanks for the comments.

I think there is a switch in Orlandos XLtoEXE program that will allow
the current instance of Excel to be used. I will have a look and maybe
use that option.

I'm also in two minds as to the benefit of the EXE ability to bypass
the "Enable/Disable" macro message. Its great to get rid of the nagging
box, but the potential for misuse could be a problem.

One of the reasons I was trying the EXE was to help prevent people
ripping off the file as their own work. I have come across one web site
with a ripped version of my file with someone elses name on it, now
thats just not cricket!

I know that in the long run I can never stop it completely, but maybe I
will put off some of the casual rippers.

Thanks

Peter Noneley
Cardiff (Still overcast and grey)
Wales
UK
www.xlfdic.com

[...]

T. Valko

I have come across one web site with a ripped
version of my file with someone elses name on it

You should "call out" this site and person in public to expose them for the
slime that they are.

Biff

jkend69315

Peter, Roger, Bob and Ron:
WOW! We are agape over this thing. We're itching to give it a try but
terrified of losing work and/or causing a Windows problem. Any
additional comments would be gratefully received. James

Ron de Bruin

I agree with you that most people will not try the exe file.
But this is Peter's choice

Peter Noneley

OK, I hear you loud and clear !

The EXE version will bite the dust, and the XLS will be reinstated.

I thought that this would be the case, people are more worried about
EXE than XLS with VBA in it, as you can stop the VBA, but you can't
stop the EXE.

Maybe I could suggest the link to the XLtoEXE converter for those who
want to convert the XLS file themselves.

I will get on to the XLS thing now, though I really should be doing
other stuff, I just don't have time !

Jim Cone

Peter,
I downloaded a free trial of an Excel program about a month ago.
(don't ask why). For what it claimed to do, it should have been
about 300KB. It was 30MB with an .exe suffix and no explanation
of what to expect. I installed it in the recycle bin and felt good
about it.
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Peter Noneley" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
OK, I hear you loud and clear !
The EXE version will bite the dust, and the XLS will be reinstated.

I thought that this would be the case, people are more worried about
EXE than XLS with VBA in it, as you can stop the VBA, but you can't
stop the EXE.

Maybe I could suggest the link to the XLtoEXE converter for those who
want to convert the XLS file themselves.

I will get on to the XLS thing now, though I really should be doing
other stuff, I just don't have time !

Peter Noneley

Its done.

The EXE has been replaced with a plain old everyday XLS.

All I've got to do now is iron a shirt for the morning, tidy the mess
the kids have left, think of what I need for work tomorrow and get a
good nights sleep, (I've skipped making the kids lunches, they will
have to fend for themselves)

Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions!

Thanks,

Peter
Cardiff (Late at night, cold, dark, wet and so windy)
Wales
UK
www.xlfdic.com

Ron de Bruin

Hi Peter

Have you try Code cleaner from Rob Bovey on the file Peter to see if the
error in 2007 disappear ?

You can always send me a file to try after cleaning if you not have 2007
running yourself

Bob Phillips

I think that you should clean up that mess on the kitchen floor.

--
---
HTH

Bob

RagDyer

Somehow, that sounds more like a Dave Peterson response then a Bob Phillips
one.<g>

Not that anything was wrong with it ... or you ... or Dave!<vbg>

Dave Peterson

Ahem.
Somehow, that sounds more like a Dave Peterson response then a Bob Phillips
one.<g>

Not that anything was wrong with it ... or you ... or Dave!<vbg>

RagDyeR

Your whimsical retorts are always a welcome respite from the usual staid
atmosphere around here.<g>

Especially some of your interchanges with Debra!<bg>