Beginner questions

1. I am trying to use the default web site for my site (http://localhost).
The reason being, I can reach it by http://www.mydomain.com, not
http://www.mydomain.com/mysite. Is this a good practice in general? I guess I
can live with creating a subsite http://localhost/mysite in Frontpage, but in
either case, do I need to then manually build the web site (a sharepoint team
site in my case), or is there a wizard I can use somewhere? It seems the
Corporate Presence site is the only one using a wizard.

2. When I open site from a client machine (XP Pro SP2) using Frontpage, I
write in http://www.mydomain.com in the Site Name block. This works, but is
this the normal way (URL in a name entry block?). By the way, I had to use
this method on the server to call up the default web site in Frontpage
(http://localhost).

My system data: Windows Server 2003, standard edition, SP1, with Sharepoint
services 2.0, Frontpage 2002 Server Extensions, IE 6.0 SP2, Frontpage 2003;
Windows XP Pro SP2, Frontpage 2003

Thanks for any help,

Jens Peter Karlsen[FP MVP]

1. Even if you create the Web as http://localhost/subweb/ you can
Publish it to http://www.yourdomain.com/ once you are done with the Web
and ready to go public.

2. Typing http://whatever is the only way to open a server based Web.
http://localhost/ always points to the server on the local computer.
http://www.yourdomain.com/ will point to the Web that are hosted by a
Hosting provider unless you are selfhosting and you frankly don't strike
me as someone who has enough knowledge to do that. It isn't that easy to
do.
You can use a wizard to get you started but sooner or later (more
sooner) you will have to start modifying the generated pages and
creating new ones.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

ks

Re: Beginner questionsHi, Jens,

Thanks for the info on Answer 1. I suppose I could also create a new root directory under c:\inetpub using the IIS Manager (old Internet Service Manager?) and build my site there, avoiding wwwroot altogether.

I think the subsite idea is useful too for some situations. Like if I have a central Golf Players site with subsites for LA, Orange county, Inland Empire, etc. I don't know of any other advantages of using subsites, technical or otherwise.

I don't see in newgroup postings much discussion on using the IIS Manager in conjunction with Frontpage. I understand this is more of the administrators' area, whereas Frontpage topics are for the web-content creators.

ks
1. Even if you create the Web as http://localhost/subweb/ you can Publish it to http://www.yourdomain.com/ once you are done with the Web and ready to go public.

2. Typing http://whatever is the only way to open a server based Web.
http://localhost/ always points to the server on the local computer. http://www.yourdomain.com/ will point to the Web that are hosted by a Hosting provider unless you are selfhosting and you frankly don't strike me as someone who has enough knowledge to do that. It isn't that easy to do.

You can use a wizard to get you started but sooner or later (more sooner) you will have to start modifying the generated pages and creating new ones.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.
Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: Beginner questions
Subject: Beginner questions

[...]

Thomas A. Rowe

IIS under Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP Pro only support a single root web, you can have unlimited
number of FP Subwebs/sites.

WebMaster Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.