BE of Split DB daily backups

I have a BE on company server that is backed up each day. What will happen
to the BE file if it's copied for backup copy purpose and the FE is left open
(not shutdown)? Will this cause corrupt or just invalid copy of file. FE
does need to be closed for proper backup of BE correct?

Also, is there a method of shutting FE database down after so many minutes
of idle time?

dbahooker

a) MDB isn't reliable
b) MDB isn't maintainable
c) you can't backup MDB while it's open
d) no way to close MDB
e) with SQL Server; it's easy to kick users out of a database
f) with SQL Server you don't need to kick people out of a database

Tony Toews [MVP]

Mr B said:
I have made copies of the BE file with users in the frontend without causing
any problems. This may not be the best thing to do, but as far as I know, it
does not cause any peticular issues.

I have done the same for my own testing purposes however I would never
trust this for live backup purposes.

Consider the situation where Access updates a record while you are
copying the file. The file copy comes to the page containing the
record just after you updated it so the data is fine. However the
file copy then copies the page containing the index before Access got
to updating it. Or say you updated two records in two different
tables or a child set of records. Anyhow you get the idea.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Todos Menos [MSFT]

oh I never said I was a Microsoft Employee

I was just stating my 'favorite stock to short'

George Hepworth

Interesting, so do you recommend "you all should be using SQL Sever", even
though it's a Microsoft product?

PFC Sadr

ROFL

good stuff

becuse SQL Server won the war and MS is now too stupid to reccomend a
stable product

so use SQL Server or mySql-- anything but MDB

rofl

Maybe I'll change my name

George Hepworth

It's not clear what you mean: are you for 'em or agin 'em?

--
George Hepworth
2007 Access MVP

PFC Sadr said:
ROFL

good stuff

becuse SQL Server won the war and MS is now too stupid to reccomend a
stable product

so use SQL Server or mySql-- anything but MDB

rofl

Maybe I'll change my name

Interesting, so do you recommend "you all should be using SQL Sever",
even
though it's a Microsoft product?

--
George Hepworth
2007 Access MVP

message

and for the record,http://babelfish.altavista.comtells me that
'Anything But Microsoft' gets translated to 'Todos Menos Microsoft'

"Todos Menos [MSFT]" <[email protected]> wrote:
This person is not a Microsoft employee.
posted from the same IP address by A a r o n K e m p f.
Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems
athttp://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm- Hide quoted text -

Todos Menos [MSFT]

I'm pro SQL Server. For sure I am; I mean DUH!
I've worked on Analysis Services for years and years; and a ton of
DTS / Reportign Services in between

but MILITANTLY anti .NET
but MILITANTLY anti .MDB