BAD_POOL_CALLER error when trying to re-install Win XP, please help :(

G

Recently I bought a new motherboard board and graphics card, an Asus A7N8X-E with a NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset, and an ATI Radeon 9600 SE. I installed everything ok hardware wise, booted everything up, repaired windows fine, and was on my pc with relative ease. I re-DLed all the windows XP service packs, installed the latest drivers for Motherboard and GFX card, and started playing Dark Age of Camelot, my game of choice.

Things weren't going right in the game, I had people jumping around on my screen, and the card just wasn't performing as I needed it to, so a friend told me to change the AGP settings in the CMOS menu. I rebooted and tried messing with stuff in the CMOS menu, a mistake for someone as ignorant as me. I think the main thing I did wrong was set my performance to Aggressive instead of Optimal, which basically overclocked the machine without me actually overclocking it? Anyway, XP wouldn't start right after that, it kept freezing and whatever, so I went back into CMOS and reset the settings to default. Windows still wouldn't start, so I decided to try and repair Windows again, like I did after installing the motherboard.

With 34 minutes left in the installation of windows, it stops and I get a blue screen with the following error message

BAD_POOL_CALLER and then some number

0x000000c2(0x0000007, 0x00000cd4, 0x020c0001, 0x82722940)

and it says something about dumping physical memory to disk. Then it restarts and does the whole process over

I was reading on some sites and I think it might be some of the ATI drivers interfering with Windows xp's installation.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm clueless and am tempted to try reformatting, or having someone professional come to look at it. Thanks for your time in reading thi

R

Ron Martell

Virt said:
Recently I bought a new motherboard board and graphics card, an Asus A7N8X-E with a NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset, and an ATI Radeon 9600 SE. I installed everything ok hardware wise, booted everything up, repaired windows fine, and was on my pc with relative ease. I re-DLed all the windows XP service packs, installed the latest drivers for Motherboard and GFX card, and started playing Dark Age of Camelot, my game of choice.

Things weren't going right in the game, I had people jumping around on my screen, and the card just wasn't performing as I needed it to, so a friend told me to change the AGP settings in the CMOS menu. I rebooted and tried messing with stuff in the CMOS menu, a mistake for someone as ignorant as me. I think the main thing I did wrong was set my performance to Aggressive instead of Optimal, which basically overclocked the machine without me actually overclocking it? Anyway, XP wouldn't start right after that, it kept freezing and whatever, so I went back into CMOS and reset the settings to default. Windows still wouldn't start, so I decided to try and repair Windows again, like I did after installing the motherboard.

With 34 minutes left in the installation of windows, it stops and I get a blue screen with the following error message:

BAD_POOL_CALLER and then some numbers

0x000000c2(0x0000007, 0x00000cd4, 0x020c0001, 0x82722940)

and it says something about dumping physical memory to disk. Then it restarts and does the whole process over.

I was reading on some sites and I think it might be some of the ATI drivers interfering with Windows xp's installation..

Anyone have any ideas? I'm clueless and am tempted to try reformatting, or having someone professional come to look at it. Thanks for your time in reading this

See http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm and click on
the "C2: Bad Pool Caller" link in the left side column.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

"The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."

Ask a Question