backing up local users and groups on a member server

Bry M

Where and how do I backup the local users and groups on a Windows 2003
member server?

Our DCs are still Win2k, but our member servers are running Win2k3. One of
the members is a file server with many locally created groups. The local
groups hold security groups from our domain which we use to limit access to
various file shares on the member server. If the server fails, we have a
backup of the shares and thier data, but where and how do we restore the
local groups and thier containing domain security group members? Is it in
the local system state? Is it stored in Active Directory? There's at least
20 of these locally created groups to restore in the event of a failure.

Thanks in advance.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Bry M said:
Where and how do I backup the local users and groups on a Windows 2003
member server?

Our DCs are still Win2k, but our member servers are running Win2k3. One of
the members is a file server with many locally created groups.
The local groups hold security groups from our domain which we use to
limit access to various file shares on the member server. If the
server fails, we have a backup of the shares and thier data, but
where and how do we restore the local groups and thier containing
domain security group members? Is it in the local system state? Is
it stored in Active Directory? There's at least 20 of these locally
created groups to restore in the event of a failure.
Thanks in advance.

System state.

But why aren't you using AD groups for everything?

Bry M

Thanks.

We have Global groups setup in AD, but the local ones were setup by my
manager. He had read somewhere this was the correct way to do it, but I
think it was based more on NT4 or when doing a migration from. We plan to
do away with the local groups once we upgrade the domain to Win2k3.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

I notice that you have posted the same question in our
<microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory> newsgroup, to which I have
already responded. Please check my answer there, and if you need any
further assistance on this particular issue please reply to me in that
thread so I can follow up with you. In the future, please don't cross-post
the same question in multiple newsgroups. This will help our engineers
work on your question more efficiently. Your understanding and cooperation
is appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Bry M" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: backing up local users and groups on a member server
| Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:04:36 -0500
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.general,m
icrosoft.public.win2000.networking

| Thanks.
|
| We have Global groups setup in AD, but the local ones were setup by my
| manager. He had read somewhere this was the correct way to do it, but I
| think it was based more on NT4 or when doing a migration from. We plan
| do away with the local groups once we upgrade the domain to Win2k3.
|

| "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
message