Background picture doesn't show up after publishing...

G

I'm going to go crazy trying to figure this out...The background picture on my web page doesn't show up after I publish it. It shows up in the 'Preview' and 'Design' pages, but not online. I've imported the file and done everything FP says to do, but still no BG pic. Even when I add a theme, it doesn't show the BG pic for that as well. Any help is definitely appreciated...

S

Steve Easton

Can you post a URL so someone can take a peek??
My crystal ball is a little fuzzy today.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

crumbear said:
I'm going to go crazy trying to figure this out...The background picture on my web page doesn't
show up after I publish it. It shows up in the 'Preview' and 'Design' pages, but not online. I've
imported the file and done everything FP says to do, but still no BG pic. Even when I add a theme,
it doesn't show the BG pic for that as well. Any help is definitely appreciated...

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Shared borders (and include pages) only include the content inside of your BODY tags from the shared border pages, so any formatting
you have in the BODY tag (from page properties in the shared border page) will not be included in the pages using it

--

| Similar problems, Background color on shared borders doesn't show up after publishing. working on www.theamazonexpress.com

G

Mr. Easton - Please understand how I am one step removed from being completely retarded when it comes to web design. I'm wondering if this was a mistake trying to do this myself! I am only working on an index page (right now) to state that the site will be up in due time. I removed the background picture since it would never show and replaced it with a thumbnail on either side of my title. These don't show either! I'm at my wit's end! Is the Web Design God frowning upon me for some reason?! What have I done wrong? I've gone through the 'Help' as well as pouring through the various books I've purchased on FP and seemed to have done things correctly, but I suppose if I truly had, I wouldn't be begging the superiors for help..

Please don't laugh at my feeble attempt at this page! I really am trying
www.mydivadesigns.com

T

Tom Pepper Willett

With a FP web open did you first import the images into your images folder
from your hard drive using File | Import, before inserting on the page.

Please give us detailed steps as to what you have tried to do as far as
images are concerned.
--
=====================================================
Tom Pepper Willett [Microsoft MVP - FrontPage]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
Microsoft FrontPage:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/default.mspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/

crumbear said:
Mr. Easton - Please understand how I am one step removed from being
completely retarded when it comes to web design. I'm wondering if this was
a mistake trying to do this myself! I am only working on an index page
(right now) to state that the site will be up in due time. I removed the
background picture since it would never show and replaced it with a
thumbnail on either side of my title. These don't show either! I'm at my
wit's end! Is the Web Design God frowning upon me for some reason?! What
have I done wrong? I've gone through the 'Help' as well as pouring through
the various books I've purchased on FP and seemed to have done things
correctly, but I suppose if I truly had, I wouldn't be begging the superiors
for help...

T

Thomas A. Rowe

A couple of things...

1. Create your image in a image application, save and then import into your current open FP web,
then insert on your page. Do not use the FP WordArt/Drawing tools as they create VML graphics that
is only supported in IE browsers.

2. Use tables to structure your page layout, not the space bar.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

crumbear said:
Mr. Easton - Please understand how I am one step removed from being completely retarded when it
comes to web design. I'm wondering if this was a mistake trying to do this myself! I am only
working on an index page (right now) to state that the site will be up in due time. I removed the
background picture since it would never show and replaced it with a thumbnail on either side of my
title. These don't show either! I'm at my wit's end! Is the Web Design God frowning upon me for
some reason?! What have I done wrong? I've gone through the 'Help' as well as pouring through the
various books I've purchased on FP and seemed to have done things correctly, but I suppose if I
truly had, I wouldn't be begging the superiors for help...

S

Steve Easton

Call me Steve. My father was Mr. Easton

We all at one time made our "first" web. I didn't have the nerve to publish mine but I sure learned
a lot ;-)

That said, it appears that the image webpic3_small.gif that's supposed to be on each side of the
logo is not being published to the server. At least I couldn't find it in the "normal" places.

You might want to remove and reapply the theme as it doesn't seem to writing the correct info to the
page
And also I "think" I remember seeing/reading something about themes and word art not working
together.
I'll check and get back.

Also, you need to go into code view and delete everything below the closing html tag
</html>

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

crumbear said:
Mr. Easton - Please understand how I am one step removed from being completely retarded when it
comes to web design. I'm wondering if this was a mistake trying to do this myself! I am only
working on an index page (right now) to state that the site will be up in due time. I removed the
background picture since it would never show and replaced it with a thumbnail on either side of my
title. These don't show either! I'm at my wit's end! Is the Web Design God frowning upon me for
some reason?! What have I done wrong? I've gone through the 'Help' as well as pouring through the
various books I've purchased on FP and seemed to have done things correctly, but I suppose if I
truly had, I wouldn't be begging the superiors for help...

G

I did import the file into the page first, but that didn't seem to change anything. I tried selecting the page, Format/Background, checking the box and adding file, but it tiles it and I'd rather have it not repeat. I then tried selecting page, Format/Borders and Shading/Shading/Check BG picture and adding the file/No repeat. This displays it on the Design page as I want it, but doesn't appear when I publish it to the site. I have checked it in the various browsers before publishing, and it shows up fine there, but disappears after being published. Any suggestions? How many Hail Mary's do I have to say to get this to work??

T

Tom Pepper Willett

Define what you mean by importing the file into a page.

You don't import it into a page.

You import it into a folder, such as the standards images folder in your
web.

The, you use File | Insert picture to insert it from your images folder onto
your page before saving.
--
Tom Pepper Willett [Microsoft MVP - FrontPage]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
Microsoft FrontPage:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/default.mspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/

crumbear said:
I did import the file into the page first, but that didn't seem to change
anything. I tried selecting the page, Format/Background, checking the box
and adding file, but it tiles it and I'd rather have it not repeat. I then
tried selecting page, Format/Borders and Shading/Shading/Check BG picture
and adding the file/No repeat. This displays it on the Design page as I
want it, but doesn't appear when I publish it to the site. I have checked
it in the various browsers before publishing, and it shows up fine there,
but disappears after being published. Any suggestions? How many Hail
Mary's do I have to say to get this to work??

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Unless you use CSS, the background image will always tile.

You must import the image into your current open FP web, then insert/link to it.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

crumbear said:
I did import the file into the page first, but that didn't seem to change anything. I tried
selecting the page, Format/Background, checking the box and adding file, but it tiles it and I'd
rather have it not repeat. I then tried selecting page, Format/Borders and Shading/Shading/Check BG
picture and adding the file/No repeat. This displays it on the Design page as I want it, but
doesn't appear when I publish it to the site. I have checked it in the various browsers before
publishing, and it shows up fine there, but disappears after being published. Any suggestions? How
many Hail Mary's do I have to say to get this to work??

T

Thomas A. Rowe

URL ?

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

crumbear said:
Yes, T. Willett, you of course are correct. I imported the file into my images folder, then
inserted it into my page.

Ask a Question