Babya Photo Workshop vs PhotoFiltre and the GIMP

Invader Zim

Could anyone try out and post a comparision/review of Babya Photo Workshop, PhotoFiltre and the GIMP?

Ionizer

Could anyone try out and post a comparision/review of Babya Photo
Workshop, PhotoFiltre and the GIMP?

Post to the newsgroup in PLAIN TEXT, Invader Fussy.

Invader Zim

Ionizer said:
Could anyone try out and post a comparision/review of Babya Photo
Workshop, PhotoFiltre and the GIMP?

Post to the newsgroup in PLAIN TEXT, Invader Fussy.

OK, here's the orginal post, but in plain text:
Could anyone try out and post a comparitive review of Babya Photo
Workshop, PhotoFiltre and the GIMP?

wald

Invader Zim said:
OK, here's the orginal post, but in plain text:
Could anyone try out and post a comparitive review of Babya
Photo Workshop, PhotoFiltre and the GIMP?

I won't, I want to save you the disgrace.

Please stop seeing your own program at the same level of packages
like the GIMP. GIMP has had years of development by a vast
development team, and no matter what you think, your Babya program
will not EVER come close in (i) features or (ii) quality of
implementation of those features. I can't speak for PhotoFiltre,
since I don't know it.

Please take this seriously.

Wald

Invader Zim

wald said:
I won't, I want to save you the disgrace.

Please stop seeing your own program at the same level of packages
like the GIMP. GIMP has had years of development by a vast
development team, and no matter what you think, your Babya program
will not EVER come close in (i) features or (ii) quality of
implementation of those features. I can't speak for PhotoFiltre,
since I don't know it.

Please take this seriously.

Wald

Thanks for the advice.

Jack D. Russell, Sr.

* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <[email protected]>
* Newsgroup: alt.comp.freeware
* Reply to: All; "Invader Zim" <[email protected]>
* Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:25:55 +1000
* Subj: Re: Babya Photo Workshop vs PhotoFiltre and the GIMP

IZ> OK, here's the orginal post, but in plain text:
IZ> Could anyone try out and post a comparitive review of Babya
IZ> Photo Workshop, PhotoFiltre and the GIMP?

Sure...The GIMP and Photofilter both work as advertised. Babya Photo
workshop doesn't. Satisfied?

News

wald said:
I won't, I want to save you the disgrace.

Please stop seeing your own program at the same level of packages
like the GIMP. GIMP has had years of development by a vast
development team, and no matter what you think, your Babya program
will not EVER come close in (i) features or (ii) quality of
implementation of those features.

Has the user interface of The GIMP improved? I tried it a year or so ago
and thought it was awful.

REM

Has the user interface of The GIMP improved? I tried it a year or so ago
and thought it was awful.

It takes a bit of getting used to I suppose, but it is a quality program.

You could always give Babya a shot...

wald

News said:

Has the user interface of The GIMP improved? I tried it a year
or so ago and thought it was awful.

Well, the interface of GIMP 2 is quite OK IMHO. You probably tried
GIMP 1.2 which indeed looks not that good. By the way, I use the
GIMP on Windows with the GTK-Wimp theme.

But please, look further than the interface :)

Wald

News

wald said:
Well, the interface of GIMP 2 is quite OK IMHO. You probably tried
GIMP 1.2 which indeed looks not that good. By the way, I use the
GIMP on Windows with the GTK-Wimp theme.

Yes it was an earlier version. Currently downloading version 2. Will
check out the GTK-WIMP theme, thanks.

Scout Lady

Could anyone try out and post a comparision/review of Babya Photo
Workshop, PhotoFiltre and the GIMP?

Yoo Babya, I have a proposition for you. In case you failed to notice no one
here is all that impressed with your programs. The competition is intense
and there are already excellent photo/image freeware programs available.

What there is not however is freeware for scrapbookers. Here is what is
needed. A program that will easily stitch together 12 x 12 layouts that are
scanned on a scanner with a maximum scan area of 8.5 x 11. A program that
will print squares on a sheet of paper where the user can define the sizes
of the squares. A program that will easily allow you to mirror a font and
print it out. A big plus would be the ability to copy and paste photos in
proportion on an 8.5 x 11 or an 8 x 10 sheet. Right now we have to use a
variety of different programs to do these things and it would be great if it
there were an all in one program.

If you can come up with something halfway decent it would gain you some
recognition and possible write ups on the scrapbook sites and maybe
magazines as well. Then when people here ask for freeware to do scrapbooking
the others here will have no choice but to recommend your program (provided
it actually works) because there really is no competition.

Garrett

Scout said:
[...]

LOL!!! Not likely! Babya has been pumping out this junk for years now
and it's just as ugly now as it was 4 years ago, and still worthless.
I am proud to announce though that it seems that Babya is no longer
proclaiming to be a country of his/her own... It was always a hoot to
show at Babya's site to read about the latest state of affairs in the
country of Babya... ROFLMAO!!!

When I was working Freewarehome.com years ago, I kept getting
submissions from Babya, and I of course would have to check it out...
At first, I thought it was just some joke someone was playing, because
the program did absolutely nothing! It was horrible! The interface
was gross, the program didn't do anything, so I brushed it off as a
prank. But the submissions just kept coming and coming and then I
heard from other freeware sites that Babya was trying to pump the junk
on them also.

Before I left freewarehome.com, I asked the other two still working
there to make sure that they never listed anything from Babya. Not
that I hate the chap, but obviously Babya is not ready for the world of
programming yet.

Babya is either a young child with no direction or proper parental
guidence, or a grown up who suffers from some mental or physical
issues, and I don't mean either of these in a mean way, just my opinion
of what's up with Babya.

-Garrett

Scout Lady

Garrett said:
[...]

Well he can't do any worse than the commerical writers because there is not
a scrapbooking program out there that is worth the price of the CD that is
put on.

Invader Zim

Scout Lady said:
Well he can't do any worse than the commerical writers because there is not
a scrapbooking program out there that is worth the price of the CD that is
put on.

Thanks for all your diferent opinions about Babya Photo Workshop. Some of
obvisouly did not like it, but I find the GIMP a bit too hard to use, while
if you are new to image editing , Babya Photo Workshop and PhotoFiltre are
best suited to those with less powerful systems.

Invader Zim

Garrett said:
[...]

Garrett,
Babya Photo Workshop is freeware and works and is useful and effective for
creating images for print and the web and has tools such as a color wand
(a soft shadow effect can be created with that tool), plus when used with
the freeware bPicture, you will have a flexible, powerful and easy to use
image management tool-similar to the commercial ACDSEE. The GIMP and
PhotoFiltre don't offer such powerful/flexible image management tools.

Invader Zim

Scout Lady said:
[...]

I was testing whether my Babya Photo Workshop would stitch images (so you could impose multiple images onto the same image) and produces quite good results.

Here's a screenshot of Babya Photo Workshop showing the image I used to stich and the resulting image afterwards. When you repeat images that have similar shapes, it is called a tessellation :
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/777706/bpws.JPG

Using that same image, I then used to create a scrapbook pagehere's a example of a simple and colourful one done in my Babya Photo Workshop:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/777706/scrap1.JPG
So, these screenshots show that Babya Photo Workshop can be used to stitch images and design simple scrapbook pages.

El Gee

Don't shoot me gang...

Invader Fussy,

I have been reading but I have not drawn any conclusions about your
software because I have had not the chance to use it. I will make you a
deal. I have a sandbox I test things on and I will reload it with a
fresh load of WinMe and will try some/all of your proggies. I will give
them a few simple basic tests and will let my wife (if she wants) try
them as well. I will review your software on my web page (URL is in the
sig file) and if it is at least AVERAGE software, I will give it a +
rating. If it is poorly made, crashes, overly buggym below average or
on par with M$ stuff, it will get a big -. Fair?

E-mail me at:

mcwright at my real box dot com

El Gee

Did you hear the one about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac?
He would stay up late every night and wonder if there was a dog.

Remove yourhat to reply ... but it may take a while.
Best to go to www.mistergeek.com and reply from there.

Invader Zim

--

OK, you can review Babya Photo Workshop 6.0 (http://home.ripway.com/2004-7/141767/InstallBabyaPhotoWorkshop6.0.exe) and bPicture (download the last at addict3d.org) . -perhaps with screenshots of each program .

Scout Lady

Scout Lady said:
[...]

Okay, I'm not sure what you are talking about. Right now I use a program
that is used to make graph paper to print squares. Basically you print the
pattern on the back of the paper and then use the lines as a guide so you
can cut the paper into even sized squares. The problem with the program
being used is you have to be a mathmetican to figure out how to scale the
squares.

As for stitching I am not very good at it but basically you have 4 scans
that are put together to make one picture. I use PSP but others are looking
for a freeware program that makes it easy and makes hiding the seams easy.
(you can do that with PSP if you are a graphic artist which I am not, hence
the seams).

Those that do digital scrapbooking usually use PS or PSP, those like myself
that do paper scrapping do not need a program to design scrapbook pages but
to make scrapping easier.

As for printing fonts in mirror image right now I am using infraview, the
idea is to mirror the letter so you can print it out and the printing lines
will not show on the good side after you cut it out.

Here are 4 pieces and one stitch. Can your program stitch these 4 pieces
together seamlessly or close to it?

http://www.scoutlady.com/lo/