average student grades

I need to calculate the average student grades on student profile sheets. for
example a student might recieve grades A, A, B, B, A - how do I get excell to
display A as the average grade?

Gordon

billynolan said:
I need to calculate the average student grades on student profile
sheets. for example a student might recieve grades A, A, B, B, A -
how do I get excell to display A as the average grade?

In your example the average is not "A", it's either "A-" or "B+"

You need to give your grades a numerical equivalent (in descending order I
would think) and average them that way. You will also need to add to your
table the grades in between, such as "A-" and "B+"

HTH

Jim Cone

Leo Heuser answered a similar question in Feb 2004 with the following...
(I was impressed enough with it to retain it in my code library)
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA
'--------------------------
Averaging letter grades
"I'd like to know if it is possible to write a formula that will average 16
letter grades in column b, from row 6 to 21 is where i enter the letter grade
for each assignment. I'd like to have the average of these grades in g23."

If "+" and "-" are included, here's one
way to do it. Remove and add elements
if necessary. All numbers are rounded to
nearest integer. E.g. an average of 7.8125
will round to 8, which is C.
(F- is 1 and A+ is 15)

In G23 enter:

=INDEX({"F-","F","F+","D-","D","D+","C-","C","C+","B-","B","B+",
A-,"A","A+"},ROUND(AVERAGE(MATCH(B6:B21,{"F-","F","F+",
D-,"D","D+","C-","C","C+","B-","B","B+","A-","A","A+"},0)),0))

The formula is an array formula, and
must be entered with <Shift><Ctrl><Enter>
also if edited later.
'--------------------------

"billynolan"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
I need to calculate the average student grades on student profile sheets. for
example a student might recieve grades A, A, B, B, A - how do I get excell to
display A as the average grade?

Bill Ridgeway

Be careful of the terms you use. The term "average" is often used
incorrectly. There are three main methods of calculating an average. Have
a look at -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average

From your example I think you should be looking at calculating the mode not
the arithmetic mean.