average size partition needed for VISTA ? tia

Travis King

I would say it is probably just barely possible to get Vista installed onto
a 15GB partition alone and a few pieces of software, so I would say a 20GB
partition is the very minimum you should start with. A 40GB partition or
larger is what you really should do though.

Kristi,

At a very minimum you need 20 GB, I tried to install it on a 15 GB partition
and I only had a gig left for use. According to MS, for Vista Ultimate you
need at least a 40 GB partition with at least 15 GB free. I am running RC 2
as my everyday OS now and I use it on an 80 GB drive. Of course it does not
require that much space, but it's nice to have some extra real estate. I
hope I have answered your question.

Jim

Kristi

Kristi,

At a very minimum you need 20 GB, I tried to install it on a 15 GB partition
and I only had a gig left for use. According to MS, for Vista Ultimate you
need at least a 40 GB partition with at least 15 GB free. I am running RC 2
as my everyday OS now and I use it on an 80 GB drive. Of course it does not
require that much space, but it's nice to have some extra real estate. I
hope I have answered your question.

Jim

Thanks! Hey where did you get RC2 - I just downloaded RC1 from them.....
tia!

Chad Harris

Kristi--

My installs themselves lately have been taking about 7+GB RAM on the drive
though RC2 X86 right after setup, and I don't think the files will change
significantly when they RTM. Also if you dual boot, Vista requires about
350MB to place some install files that are needed on C:\ or your XP drive.

Good advice from Travis and Jim--give yourself those minimums and it depends
on how many programs you plan to install on Vista. You can do a rough
inventory very quickly or Kristi if you download this free program you can
get it to scan everything and arragnge by size and then take a look at which
ones you'll want to be using on Vista.

Like everything else, you will probably want more space than you alot so be
a bit generous.

You can inventory all your *file and folder* program sizes neatly and
quickly besides scanning Add/Remove with DX Hog Hunt
www.dvxp.com/en/Downloads.aspx

BTW Kristi Raxco has a Perfect Disk for Vista separate trial that works
great and is good for five months. They told me they plan to make PD for
Vista separate from PD for XP but that could change.

CH

Mike

Kristi,

At a very minimum you need 20 GB, I tried to install it on a 15 GB
partition and I only had a gig left for use. According to MS, for Vista
Ultimate you need at least a 40 GB partition with at least 15 GB free. I
am running RC 2 as my everyday OS now and I use it on an 80 GB drive. Of
course it does not require that much space, but it's nice to have some
extra real estate. I hope I have answered your question.

10 GB is the absolute minimum. I have installed it on 2 machines on a 10GB
drive.

You need more than that for the install, however. Both of these machines
needed a 2nd drive to be installed before Vista would install. After
installation you have about 2.5 GB free on the install drive.

Mike

SESSION_EVENT

Vista is a space hog compared to XP, but not so much compared to some of the
large Linux distros.

Anyway, you will want lots of space, at least a good 20GB. If you plan on
installing any large amount of software on the same partition then much
more.

Alexander Suhovey

From: SESSION_EVENT [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 7:47 PM
Subject: Re: average size partition needed for VISTA ? tia

Some of the disrtos of Linux can get pretty big requiring
several CDs to
install it all. For instance, when XP took up about 2GB+ I
think RH could
easily take 4 or 5 Gigs worth if one installed everything.

Fedora Core fits into 5 CDs afaik.

SESSION_EVENT

Well, that's roughly around half 32bit Vista U and double 32bit XP.

Posted At: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 7:47 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Conversation: average size partition needed for VISTA ? tia
arachnid wrote:
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:58:28 -0400, SESSION_EVENT wrote:
Which distro's would that be?

Some of the disrtos of Linux can get pretty big requiring
several CDs to
install it all. For instance, when XP took up about 2GB+ I
think RH could
easily take 4 or 5 Gigs worth if one installed everything.

Fedora Core fits into 5 CDs afaik.

arachnid

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 7:47 PM Posted To:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general Conversation: average size
partition needed for VISTA ? tia Subject: Re: average size partition
needed said:
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:58:28 -0400, SESSION_EVENT wrote: Which
distro's would that be?

Some of the disrtos of Linux can get pretty big requiring several CDs to
install it all. For instance, when XP took up about 2GB+ I think RH
could
easily take 4 or 5 Gigs worth if one installed everything.
Fedora Core fits into 5 CDs afaik.

That's Fedora Core plus about 8,000 optional applications. I've installed
Fedora and a big pile of apps in a 1 gig memory stick, with almost half
left over to play and work.

Alexander Suhovey

From: arachnid [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 9:03 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Conversation: average size partition needed for VISTA ? tia

That's Fedora Core plus about 8,000 optional applications.
I've installed
Fedora and a big pile of apps in a 1 gig memory stick, with
almost half
left over to play and work.
Sure. I didn't mean to make any size vs feat or install modularity
comparsions between FC and Vista.

SESSION_EVENT

I installed a version of RH that took approx 4-5 GB of space installed. I'm
pretty sure it was RH, but not the very latest Fedora.

Posted At: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 8:16 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Conversation: average size partition needed for VISTA ? tia

Well, that's roughly around half 32bit Vista U and double 32bit XP.

How's that?

I don't have 5th CD, but first 4 are 2.63 GB while my Vista ISO is
2.49 GB.

I'm not trying to make any point about size vs feature comparsion
between FC and Vista (If I was, I'd say FC has much more software on
these CDs), I just provided additional info to what you have said
previously.

progressive realization

can you explain what you said about the "second drive to be installed?"

Donald L McDaniel

I would say it is probably just barely possible to get Vista installed onto
a 15GB partition alone and a few pieces of software, so I would say a 20GB
partition is the very minimum you should start with. A 40GB partition or
larger is what you really should do though.

Microsoft states EXPLICITLY that one must have a MINIMUM of 20GB free space
on your partition to install Vista. This is so the necessary installation
files have room to be expanded. Once Vista is installed, all that is
necessary is 12 GB(for the OS).

I advise AT LEAST an installation partition of 80GB, especially if you use
large media files, such as movies, or if you use your OS paritition to keep
ALL your files on.

Donald

Travis King

I did a check on my Windows folder for Windows Vista to see how large the
Windows folder was. The Windows folder alone was 8.87GB (Size on disk). If
you go into the 'Program Files' folder and count up what's in there, there'd
be even more, so I'd say you should have no less than 11GB free for Vista
alone. With all of my frequently used software installed on Vista, my Vista
drive is using just over 15GB of hard disk space right now.

Software:
Windows Vista Ultimate RC2 5744 x86
Audacity
Trillian
Microsoft Office 2007 Professional Plus
Microsoft FrontPage 2002
Adobe PhotoShop 5.5
Ares 1.9.3 (I believe)
Asus Probe 2.23.01
Axialis Ax-Cursors 4.5
Axialis Ax-Icons 4.5
Canon PhotoRecord and other Canon software that came with my Canon PowerShot
A520
Cyberlink PowerDVD
DAZ Bryce 5.5
HP PhotoSmart Photo Printing
iTunes 7 and QuickTime
Lavasoft AdAware SE Personal 1.06
Microsoft Digital Image Suite 10
Mozilla Firefox (suffering from the known shiver problem)
MumboJumbo - Super Collapse, Super Nisqually, Super Glinx (games)
Quake III Arena
Rio Music Manager (for MP3 player)
Sierra Print Artist 8.0
Ulead Photo Express 2.0 SE (old Windows 98 software when we got our first
computer way back in September of 1999)