Avast Anti-Virus

Gary

I had numerous problems using the PCCillin anti-virus program recommended by
Microsoft to use with Vista.

I found another that works fine with Vista and is free to use as well.
I have started using Avast Home version and even the security center
recognizes the program as protecting against Virus'.

So far, so good.

Gary

MICHAEL

I haven't noticed any problems using Trend's PCcillin. However,
on install the only component that I checked to install was the
AV part. Not the firewall, webmail scan, anti-spam, web filter,
or wi-fi intrusion- that's a whole lot of extra crap. Vista already
has a firewall, I'm also behind a router. Vista has spyware protection-
Windows Defender. Just didn't want to put so much extra beta
stuff on a beta. Like I said, the AV part of Trend seems to work
just fine. For me.

-Michael

John Barnes

Avast works fine, but remember that it doesn't automatically update the A/V
files. You have to do it manually in Vista.

John Jay Smith

why doesn't it autoupdate?

John Barnes said:
Avast works fine, but remember that it doesn't automatically update the
A/V files. You have to do it manually in Vista.

Bill

I have Avast on 2 drives - both update automatically

"John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in message
why doesn't it autoupdate?

John Barnes

Right click on the avast A in the system tray, select updating, then AVS
update. Says this version of Avast doesn't have automatic updating then
instructions on manually updating. My version is as up to date as I've seen
on the site. My XP versions update automatically.

John Barnes

Well, with two who say it does, I will uninstall, and go back and get the
latest version from the site and reinstall. Thanks if it now works, it has
been a pain having to update manually.

Bob T.

That's not auto update that's a manual update from the sys tray. Launch the
application like it says, go to Settings>Update and tick the Automatics for
both version and signatures and the autoupdate works just as it does in
other versions.

John Barnett MVP

I too haven't noticed any problems with PC cillin, although, like Michael, i
have only installed the anti virus component. Vista already comes with
defender so there isn't much use for the spyware component. While i am using
the windows firewall i would actually prefer to use zone alarm, but that is
only a personal preference. I haven't yet tried zone alarm on Vista so i'm
not sure whether the current build of ZA will actually work.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

The information in this mail is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this mail. The Author shall not be liable for any
direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use
of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this mail..

John Barnes

That is set to automatic, the system NEVER automatically updates on my
system, and about once every couple of weeks I am notified that my virus
files are out of date. May be just my installation, but I doubt it.

Richard Urban

Avast 4.7 certainly "does" update automatically. I hear the voice and see
the popup window almost every day telling me that the virus database has
been updated.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

William R. Mosher

Avast Home Edition 4.7 does automatically update in Vista. At it does for me.

William
Avast works fine, but remember that it doesn't automatically update the A/V
files. You have to do it manually in Vista.

John Barnes

I do have an error event 90 that happens periodically that has no further
information available. Far less often that Avast is used, since my wife
uses it every day.

John Barnes

I found an additional message

AAVM - scanning error: FATAL: GetQueuedCompletionStatus failed!!!!!,
000002DF.

Chris Game

I found an additional message

AAVM - scanning error: FATAL: GetQueuedCompletionStatus
failed!!!!!, 000002DF.

My Avast! installation doesn't update either. Lots of messages in
the avast! logfile of the type:
15/07/2006 21:30:21 cag 440
Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is
0x00000426, dwRes is 00000000.