autorun too slow

Marco

Hello

I have the following problem,

when i insert a cd in an external usb cdrom drive (16x dvdwriter
lacie) the autorun function responds too slow (3 minutes for the cd to
start up)
on an other computer (same config) same problem with external drive
with internal drive the autorun executes within 17 seconds

on the first computer the internal drive is broken an the client
prefferes to use the external drive because it is on top of the desk
and used very often

what can i do to speed up the external drive

thanks

Marco

R. McCarty

Is the external USB drive 2.0 compliant and hooked to a PC that
has an "Enhanced Controller ( USB-2.0 ) ? From your description
it seems like the external is running at a USB 1(.1) mode.

Marco

it's an intel 82801eb usb universal host controller, i don't know if
it's an enhanced controller?
i assume it's a usb 2.0 controller

it's an asus p4p800 deluxe mb

does this help?

R. McCarty

That motherboard uses an Intel 865 chipset which provides 8 USB-2
ports. You should check the Universal Serial Bus controllers category
in Device Manager and make sure a "Enhanced" Controller appears in
the listing. If not the machine's BIOS setup may be set incorrectly so
that USB 2.0 is not enabled, forcing all ports to be USB1(.1).

M.I.5¾

Marco said:
Hello

I have the following problem,

when i insert a cd in an external usb cdrom drive (16x dvdwriter
lacie) the autorun function responds too slow (3 minutes for the cd to
start up)

Oddly, I have exactly the same problem on my old laptop. When you insert a
disc the drive doesn't even spin the disc and waits around 3 minutes. Then
suddenly you hear the disc spin up, the read head move and thing works. I
have assumed that the drive is faulty in some way and the laser doesn't
detect the disc until it has warmed up a bit. Anyway, I replaced the disc
drive in the end. Cost me £500, but it did come with a free processor,
memory, screen, keyboard, battery, power brick etc.

Marco

i checked the bios usb 2 is enabled and set to full speed 480mbs
in my devices i have

generic usb hub
intel 82801eb usb universal host controller -24D2
intel 82801eb usb universal host controller -24D4
intel 82801eb usb universal host controller -24D7
intel 82801eb usb universal host controller -24DE
standard enhanced PCI to USB-Hostcontroller

Marco

R. McCarty

Since you don't have an Enhanced Controller shown in the USB
category, the system is obviously working without USB 2.0. You
need to install the Intel Chipset driver package. I'd also check in
Device Manager for a category called "Other Devices". It seems
like your PC isn't configured properly.

Michel Merlin

Marco and "M.I.5¾", could you each tell the exact OS of each PC affected or unaffected? Slow-downs seem more often hitting XP Pro 32 bits than XP Home or other versions of Windows. TIA,

Versailles, Fri 18 Apr 2008 20:31:10 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----
From: M.I.5¾ <[email protected]_SPAM.co.uk>
Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Message: Sent: Fri 14 Mar 2008 12:51:47 GMT
Subject: Re: autorun too slow

From: Marco <[email protected]>
when i insert a cd in an external usb cdrom drive (16x dvdwriter lacie) the
autorun function responds too slow (3 minutes for the cd to start up)
on an other computer (same config) same problem with external drive with
internal drive the autorun executes within 17 seconds

on the first computer the internal drive is broken an the client prefferes
to use the external drive because it is on top of the desk and used very
often

what can i do to speed up the external drive

thanks

Marco

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Monitor said:
I have just about the same problem as the OP. Here are the symptoms:
- When I insert a CD (any CD, even a music CD!), Explorer hangs
for up to 5 minutes. It spins the CD a couple of times but does not
do anything else. CPU loading is below 5%.
- After the initial delay the CD is perfectly readable.
- When I insert a new CD the delay starts again.
- On occasions the CD is recognised immediately. I have not yet
detected a pattern to this.

And here are the machine specs:
- IBM Thinkpad R40e
- Windows XP Professional SP2
- The machine has always had this problem.
- The machine refuses to load any alternative CD drivers.
- The problem is specific to Windows XP. This is a multi-booting
machine; Windows 98 and DOS recognise the CD immediately.
- I can always boot up with a boot CD - no delay there.

I had a similar problem with a Teac DW-224E internal drive on
one of my laptops. While I was unable to fully resolve it, I found
a way around the problem: Launch the Nero burner software and
click the "CD Information" button. This would force WinXP to
recognise the CD or DVD instantly.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Monitor said:
I have just about the same problem as the OP. Here are the symptoms:
- When I insert a CD (any CD, even a music CD!), Explorer hangs
for up to 5 minutes. It spins the CD a couple of times but does not
do anything else. CPU loading is below 5%.
- After the initial delay the CD is perfectly readable.
- When I insert a new CD the delay starts again.
- On occasions the CD is recognised immediately. I have not yet
detected a pattern to this.

And here are the machine specs:
- IBM Thinkpad R40e
- Windows XP Professional SP2
- The machine has always had this problem.
- The machine refuses to load any alternative CD drivers.
- The problem is specific to Windows XP. This is a multi-booting
machine; Windows 98 and DOS recognise the CD immediately.
- I can always boot up with a boot CD - no delay there.

Try the recipe given here - it worked for me, even though it's written
for Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461