Autoplay

L

Lynn W

My CDs have stopped Autoplaying!! I have tried right clicking on the drive and selecting the Always
do the selected action Play with Media Player. When I put the CD in, it starts up you get the egg
timer as if its going to play then stops. I have run the Autofix tool, no luck. Been trying to
sort it for over an hour now. I have a feeling that when it failed once before I had to go in
Folder Options, File Types and check what the setting was. I seem to remember that if you went in
Edit there was a command string which didn't mean much to me but I think it had to be there for
Autoplay, then again I could be getting this mixed up with something else.

R

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

There is a file here that you can copy to your system and run, it will reset
the autorun defaults:
ftp://rickster.myip.org/WinXP%20Autorun%20fix/

If you cannot access it, go to the Control Panel/Internet Options and on the
advanced tab disable passive ftp.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Autoplay Repair Wizard
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...B6-E8FA-45C4-A171-1B389CFACDAD&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:

| My CDs have stopped Autoplaying!! I have tried right clicking on the drive and selecting the Always
| do the selected action Play with Media Player. When I put the CD in, it starts up you get the egg
| timer as if its going to play then stops. I have run the Autofix tool, no luck. Been trying to
| sort it for over an hour now. I have a feeling that when it failed once before I had to go in
| Folder Options, File Types and check what the setting was. I seem to remember that if you went in
| Edit there was a command string which didn't mean much to me but I think it had to be there for
| Autoplay, then again I could be getting this mixed up with something else.
|
| --
| Lynn

L

Lynn W

Hi Rick
Is that the Autofix tool, because if it is I have already run that with no joy.

L

Lynn W

Something very weird just happened. In order to answer your question, I opened up My Computer and
then put in a CD and yes you've guessed it, it started to play, at the time I had Media Player
already open. So I closed down Media Player and then re-inserted CD and it started playing again
but doesn't show me what it is playing through. No Media Player opened up or Real Player so I don't
know what it is using as its medium. I've been messing with this for about 2 hours now. Funny
thing is when I was playing it before through Media Player I got the old Windows has encountered a
problem and it closed Media Player down. There are times when you could just throw them through the
window couldn't you!!

R

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

Your CD drive has a direct connection to the sound card, this is quite
normal. It allows the player to simply output directly to the sound card
without using any software on the system.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Ask a Question