Autoplay properties

Bob Brannon

Hello,

I am using XP HOME SP1 and have set CD properties to "take no action" for
autoplay for everything but music CD's which I have set to "play with
windows media player".

However, without fail, everytime I insert a "mixed content" CD it always
opens in Windows Explorer anyway, even though I have that set to "take no
action".

It was suggested earlier that I Disable CD autoplay, completely, in Windows
XP Home using a registry edit suggested in
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/cd_autoplay_home.htm. However, my registry
already has a NoDriveTypeAutoRun value that is binary and set to a value of
"5F 00 00 00". So I am not sure what to do about that.

Also, is totally disabling CD Autoplay the only way? Can one not keep
Windows Media player enabled to autoplay music CD's?

Can anyone help with this?

Kay Hangman

You may have some luck using TweakUI for WinXP, which has the ability to
manipulate the autoplay functions a little bit better than normal (and
doesn't require manual editing of the registry). Other system utilities may
do the same.

Bob Brannon

Hello Kay,

I tried the TweakUI but there wasn't anything there I could find that would
change the settings other than totally disabling CD autoplay. Is that what
you were thinking?

Bob Brannon

"Kay Hangman" <renegade_at_accesswave_dot_ca_antispam> wrote in message
You may have some luck using TweakUI for WinXP, which has the ability to
manipulate the autoplay functions a little bit better than normal (and
doesn't require manual editing of the registry). Other system utilities may
do the same.

Kay Hangman

Hmm, I was thinking you might be able to edit the "handlers" under the
autoplay section in order to limit the opening of the CD to what you want,
rather than disabling individual drives.

Bob Brannon

I tried that but to no avail.