Automating Hyperlinks in Word

DM2

Reaction score
I use MS Word to create Adobe PDF files that are menu's to technical documents on our network at work. I have for sometime, been creating the links manually but this is time consuming and I have a ton of documents. I've got to believe there is a way to automate this process.

My current process is to use MS Excel and import the directory where a given group of technical documents are stored into an Excel file. I use Excel to check the file name length to insure it doesn't exceed a given number of characters. During this process It easy to use "Search & Replace" to replace names with abbreviations. For example FIND "Installation" and REPLACE with "INST". What I end up with is 2 columns. Column A, which has the actual file name and extension, and Column B which is a description of the file (i.e. "Siemens_XYX_Cntrl_Inst-Rev_06.PDF" and "Siemens Model XYZ Controller Installation Manual, Revision 06").

Couldn't a Macro be written in Word that looks at the Excel File and uses Column A as the HyperLink, and Column B text that's displayed for the Hyperlink?

Signed...Trying to work smarter, not harder
Regards
Dan

Ask a Question