Automatic updates + random websites

Reaction score
Hi

PC details:
Microsft xp
McAfee
Spybot, microsoft defender, Ad-Aware
ADSL router
computer spec? - tried to download SIW - but diverted to help register site - which spybot identified as high risk
Could not attache HJT log - webpage could not be found

I really hope someone can help - I can't turn on automatic updates - when i try I get the following message:

Could not start automatic updates on your local computer
Error 1058: The service cannot be started because it is desabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

also - random websites open up without prompting. I have run spyware and anti-vrus - Spybot keeps identifying various problems - tried to fix, but no luck

I hope someone can help - I'm really stuck!

Thanks

Reaction score

Can you let us know what problems Spybot is finding..??Thsi would help greatly in resolving your problem..I will see what I can do to help you with Error:1058

Last edited:
Reaction score
Back again, fingers crossed with a solution for you..Go here and try the Vundo fix they have to offer....Hope this workks for you..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi there,

I ran Vundo Fix and VirtumundoBegone. "unfortunately" nothing was detected. Ran Spybot and it detected and stated that it had fixed:
Direct Track 2 entries
Double click 1 entry
Hitbox 2 entries
Registry helper 1 entry
Virtumundo 2 entries
Zedo 1 entry

Although spybot says fixed, these are the same things that it detected and supposedly fixed over the weekend.

I still have the same problems with automatic updates and random websites

Thanks

Ask a Question