Windows XP automatic message box

Reaction score
Dear all
I have a dangerous colleague who might shut down my computer in case I am not sitting on my desk. I would like to create a message box that says "Heyyyy, please do not shut down my computer" whenever he tries to do so.
Could you please help me?
Many thanks
Cheers!
Abhi
PS-I created a message box using notepad. One way could be to run this .vbs file whenver shutdown is performed.

Reaction score
If your on a network & have to put in a user name and password then click:
Ctrl-Alt & Delete at the same time to lock your pc. You will get an option to lock the pc, when you return you then have to put in your password to unlock the pc.

Reaction score
Beste Feckit and other experts.
Thanks very much indeed, standby mode is a practical solution. However, I run programs continuously and I would like my computer to remain switched on. While I could find some related material for Vista (eg scheduling a task if the computer is inactive for some time, see this http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/132903-task-scheduler-create-task.html, I am not sure how to do it in XP.
Cheerios
Abhi

Reaction score
I see your point Feckit, the computer remains on, but would appreciate your input if you could help me implement the nessage box idea.:thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
As Feckit pointed out. (though being part of a network or not has nothing to do with it) Just setup a password for your login.

Then each time you step away from your machine hit the Windows key and L.

That will lock your workstation and require the password to be entered before you can do anything.

This will not put the PC into standby. Why do you think it will? :/

It will continue to run as if the screen is displaying the desktop it will not interfere with anything running on the PC.

Simple.

If your not sure i suggest you consult your system/network administrator. ;)

Reaction score
Thanks very much V_R, nice to learn this thing. Very practical.Compared to you guys I am just a newbie so sorry about the confusion about lock/standby. On a different note, tt seems that XP is different from Vista in that it doesn't have that many options for task scheduling.
Have a happy weekend
Abhi

Ask a Question