Automatic Entry of New E-Mail Addresses into Contacts (Outlook XP)

We have a User (Senior Officer) who swears that at his last command, outlook was configured to automatically add new e-mail addresses to contacts when he entered them in the To: field. We (Myself and several technicians) have searched hi an lo and have not been successful in find the setting that would make that happen.

Does anyone know of a settng that will make outlook do this? Is there an add-in which could be configured to make this happen?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Outlook 98 and 2000 in Internet Mail Only mode had this feature. No current
versions do. You can create this feature with code if you really want to.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
FGarvin said:
We have a User (Senior Officer) who swears that at his last command,
outlook was configured to automatically add new e-mail addresses to contacts
when he entered them in the To: field. We (Myself and several technicians)
have searched hi an lo and have not been successful in find the setting that
would make that happen.
Does anyone know of a settng that will make outlook do this? Is there an
add-in which could be configured to make this happen?

JulieD

Hi Russ

i'm also interested in this, would you have the code handy? or can you give
me an idea of how to approach this, i've not coded in outlook before (but do
in other programs)

cheers
JulieD

FGarvin said:
We have a User (Senior Officer) who swears that at his last command,
outlook was configured to automatically add new e-mail addresses to contacts
when he entered them in the To: field. We (Myself and several technicians)
have searched hi an lo and have not been successful in find the setting that
would make that happen.
Does anyone know of a settng that will make outlook do this? Is there an
add-in which could be configured to make this happen?

Alexander Gorlach

Hi,

This topic cost $15 -- Add Contacts add-in:
http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/add_contacts/

Our add-in does the following additional steps:

1. At first, it searches for duplicates in all contact folders before
new contact adding (or in specified folders only). Of course, you can
code it in Visual Basic, but if you have more than 1000 contacts, it
will work very slowly. Our add-in use MAPI (low level -- it works in 100
times faster).

2. When a contact is being created, the add-in attempts at detecting the
name corresponding to the e-mail address automatically. So, if you have
received a message from the address "John Smith" <[email protected]>, the
new contact created by the program will be named John Smith. However, if
name detection fails, the add-in attempts at retrieving it from the
message body. For example, if your message begins with the string "Dear
John,", the program will automatically extract the name from the
greeting and create a contact named John (you can disable automatic name
detection in the program settings).

So, the most cheap way is to buy add-in ;-)

Alexander Gorlach,
MAPILab Ltd.
http://www.mapilab.com/

Posted At: Thursday, July 15, 2004 3:38 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.outlook.general
Conversation: Automatic Entry of New E-Mail Addresses into Contacts
(Outlook XP)
Subject: Re: Automatic Entry of New E-Mail Addresses into Contacts
(Outlook XP)

FGarvin said:
We have a User (Senior Officer) who swears that at his last
command,
outlook was configured to automatically add new e-mail addresses to contacts
when he entered them in the To: field. We (Myself and several technicians)
have searched hi an lo and have not been successful in find the
setting
that
would make that happen.
there

JulieD

Hi Alexander

thanks for this, i'll check it out.

Cheers
JulieD

http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/autoaddrecip.htm

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

FGarvin said:
We have a User (Senior Officer) who swears that at his last command,
outlook was configured to automatically add new e-mail addresses to contacts
when he entered them in the To: field. We (Myself and several technicians)
have searched hi an lo and have not been successful in find the setting that
would make that happen.
Does anyone know of a settng that will make outlook do this? Is there
an
add-in which could be configured to make this happen?

JulieD

thanks