Auto Complete feature will not work

Susan

I have been searching for the solution to my problem for 2
months but have not found it...many similar problems,
though! I switched ISPs, and now the auto complete feature
will not work at all. I don't use Outlook Express, and I
do not have to use a password or any other security
feature. This is a home pc, with Win 98 SE. I have cleared
the stored passwords and forms, cleared the cache, reset
graphics and artwork storage. All the right radio buttons
are checked. This should really be simple!! By the way,
why is there nothing in the Knowledge Base about this
feature? If anybody can help, it will be sincerely
appreciated!!

Don Varnau

I have Windows XP, Explorer 6.0, and Auto Complete has never worked on this computer. I have set all the proper stuff in "Tools" - this is getting very old. Works fine in my other computers - 1 laptop, one other home computer with same XP operating system.

Susan

Don, thanks for the tips. I read the info. Then I
remembered that about the time the auto complete quit
working that the Win Desktop Update disappeared. So that
must have something to do with it. But I do not have to
logon to operate my PC. The info you referred me to dealt
with IE 4 & 5. I have IE6. It also gave instructions for
uninstalling IE 4 & 5. Since I have Win 98 SE, it should
have come with IE, so if I uninstall it as per the
directions, will I have to reinstall? I am confused about
this, as the info stated that after uninstalling, the
previous version of IE would be the running program. What
do you suggest? Thanks so much for your help! I see lots
of other folks like this feature, and have problems
similar to mine!!
Do you logon to Windows? It's not necessary with Win98, but it *is*
necessary for some autocomplete feaures to work.

See: 152104 - How to Prevent a Logon Prompt at Startup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;152104

Other possibilities at http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers4.htm

General info about autocomplete:
217148 - How to Use the AutoComplete Feature in Internet Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=217148

Hope this helps,
Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"Susan" <anonymous[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I have been searching for the solution to my problem for 2
months but have not found it...many similar problems,
though! I switched ISPs, and now the auto complete feature
will not work at all. I don't use Outlook Express, and I
do not have to use a password or any other security
feature. This is a home pc, with Win 98 SE. I have cleared
the stored passwords and forms, cleared the cache, reset
graphics and artwork storage. All the right radio buttons
are checked. This should really be simple!! By the way,
why is there nothing in the Knowledge Base about this
feature? If anybody can help, it will be sincerely
appreciated!!

.

Don Varnau

Sorry, I meant to post this link
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#save_password - not this
entire page http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers4.htm
Uninstalling IE is definitely not a part of the solution and I don't think
the desktop update is involved.
A few questions...
When you click on the Start button, is there a Log Off or Log Off Susan
option?
Do the cookies in the Cookies folder have names like (e-mail address removed) or
(e-mail address removed)?
In Control Panel, is TweakUI installed?

Don
--

Susan said:
Don, thanks for the tips. I read the info. Then I
remembered that about the time the auto complete quit
working that the Win Desktop Update disappeared. So that
must have something to do with it. But I do not have to
logon to operate my PC. The info you referred me to dealt
with IE 4 & 5. I have IE6. It also gave instructions for
uninstalling IE 4 & 5. Since I have Win 98 SE, it should
have come with IE, so if I uninstall it as per the
directions, will I have to reinstall? I am confused about
this, as the info stated that after uninstalling, the
previous version of IE would be the running program. What
do you suggest? Thanks so much for your help! I see lots
of other folks like this feature, and have problems
similar to mine!!
Do you logon to Windows? It's not necessary with Win98, but it *is*
necessary for some autocomplete features to work.

[...]

Don, I have checked the items you suggested: I do not have
to logon, but there is a button (my sister set up this
computer originally so the button is her name, Lynn); the
cookies are like (e-mail address removed), not "anyuser"; and there
is no TweakUI on my pc. I usually clear my cookies and
history daily, also. I went to the Run window and typed in
*Protected Storage* and got the message "not found" so I
guess Win98SE does not have that services file. Got any
more suggestions? I really appreciate all your help!
[...]

Susan,
Are you familiar with regedit? I think this is mentioned at
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#save_password
Run regedit & navigate to this key

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\SPW]

Export (backup) that key then delete it. Then restart.

Having a name attached to cookies ([email protected]) indicates that there is a
windows login. That rules out one possible cause of this problem.

Don
--

Susan said:
[...]

Robert Aldwinckle

Having a name attached to cookies ([email protected]) indicates that there is a
windows login. That rules out one possible cause of this problem.

But if this next problem hasn't been fixed by IE6 it could be the cause
of some strange symptoms...

<title>KB193278 - History Folder Does Not Contain Web Pages</title>

---

Susan said:
[...]

Don, I followed the steps in the registry, but did not
find the string-key. It stopped at Internet Explorer, no
IntelliForms. Anything else I can try? Thanks, again, for
trying to help!
[...]

If you go to Ctrl Panel> Add/remove> IE> add/remove, is "repair" one of the
options? If it is, run repair on IE.

Also (I don't have much faith in this- but it won't hurt)
Delete the History folder
Manually... http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm
or
Free History Eraser:
http://smartprotector.com/eraser/free-history-eraser.htm

Don

Susan said:
[...]

Don, I know this is going to sound really stupid, but when
I go to Add/Remove programs >IE I don't have the repair
button, just the Add/Remove. So if I click on it, will I
see the repair button? I fear I might unwittingly remove
IE. Could this happen? I remember seeing that button some
time back...TY
[...]

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP

Susan said:
Don, I know this is going to sound really stupid, but when
I go to Add/Remove programs >IE I don't have the repair
button, just the Add/Remove. So if I click on it, will I
see the repair button? I fear I might unwittingly remove
IE. Could this happen? I remember seeing that button some
time back...TY

Yes.
That's what Don said to do.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Susan said:
Don, I know this is going to sound really stupid, but when
I go to Add/Remove programs >IE I don't have the repair
button, just the Add/Remove. So if I click on it, will I
see the repair button? I fear I might unwittingly remove
IE. Could this happen? I remember seeing that button some
time back...TY

Yes.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC

Don,
I posted more info on 3/8 but somehow lost the string!
So...here's where I am: I know this is going to sound
[...]

Yes. You have to click Add/Remove to see the Repair option.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com