Attn: Susan Burgher

Michael Laplante

Hi Susan. We were discussing ways to organize html photo albums in an
earlier thread.

I dl'd and tested TextWedge at:
http://www.homestead.com/adriancarter/Index.html

This thing might be useful. Essentially, you can use it to break up one long
text file at a particular phrase. Last night I tested it by setting up a
number of html files in one long text file. I then had the program separate
it into separate files at the <html> tag and it worked beautifully. You can
specify the name / number pattern of the output files.

So if you keep your html files in one long text file, then use cut'n'paste
to reorganize it as your photo order changes or new photos are added, then
use this program to always regenerate the new files, you could replace your
old system of three programs with just one or two. Or, use something like
Treepad to organize the order of your files, export to a text file then use
this handy program to regenerate your photo album.

HTH,

Susan Bugher

Michael said:
Hi Susan. We were discussing ways to organize html photo albums in an
earlier thread.

I dl'd and tested TextWedge at:
http://www.homestead.com/adriancarter/Index.html

This thing might be useful. Essentially, you can use it to break up one long
text file at a particular phrase. Last night I tested it by setting up a
number of html files in one long text file. I then had the program separate
it into separate files at the <html> tag and it worked beautifully. You can
specify the name / number pattern of the output files.

Nice! :) TextWedge sounds like a great KISS solution.
So if you keep your html files in one long text file, then use cut'n'paste
to reorganize it as your photo order changes or new photos are added, then
use this program to always regenerate the new files, you could replace your
old system of three programs with just one or two. Or, use something like
Treepad to organize the order of your files, export to a text file then use
this handy program to regenerate your photo album.

We're talking apples and oranges to some extent. You want to create
*one* set of HTML files. I NEED the spreadsheet - I use it to create
*many* sets of HTML files (from *extracted* *subsets* of data). Also
dunno how the number of images compare - I have 6000 plus images listed
(that would be a longgggggggg text file). . .

Speaking of counting. . . I actually use *5* programs :) in this order:

1. Spreadsheet (copy data to clipboard)
2. dbEdit (import data from clipboard) (save the .csv file)
3. TreePad (import .csv file) (save the TreePad file)
4. Keynote (import the TreePad file) (export nodes as individual text
files)
5. THE Rename (rename file extensions from .txt to .htm)

IMO TextWedge would be most useful for relatively stable information
(not too many changes anticipated). The time required to export to
Treepad/ Keynote/ text files is trivial in comparison to the time I save
by using a spreadsheet for "master records" and making revisions there.
OTOH you may prefer to work with text files and/or find them easier to
work with. I *am* a realio, trulio spreadsheet junkie and my *easy*
probably differs from yours (past experience tells me this is more than
likely). ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Michael Laplante

Susan Bugher said:
Michael Laplante wrote:

IMO TextWedge would be most useful for relatively stable information (not
too many changes anticipated). The time required to export to Treepad/
Keynote/ text files is trivial in comparison to the time I save by using a
spreadsheet for "master records" and making revisions there. OTOH you may
prefer to work with text files and/or find them easier to work with. I
*am* a realio, trulio spreadsheet junkie and my *easy* probably differs
from yours (past experience tells me this is more than likely). ;)

Could still use your spreadsheet too, depending on how you are using it.
Does each row represent a file and the last column represent your combined
code for that image? (That's how I was doing it with my Word / Excel
process)

If so, simply copy your last column -- or filter your records for "subsets"
as required -- to the master text file and then use TextWedge to replace the
whole Treepad / Keynote step.

Some thoughts for your consideration. . .

Susan Bugher

Could still use your spreadsheet too, depending on how you are using it.
Does each row represent a file and the last column represent your combined
code for that image? (That's how I was doing it with my Word / Excel
process)

I use the same basic approach (each image file has a row) - details are
different. The HTML description is created on a different page in the
spreadsheet - I use formulas to add the HTML tags and stuff like dat
dere. The complete description occupies several columns.
If so, simply copy your last column -- or filter your records for "subsets"
as required -- to the master text file and then use TextWedge to replace the
whole Treepad / Keynote step.

Hi Michael,

Good idea. :) Especially good because. . .

I looked at the "family photo" spreadsheet file last night and realized
I *hadn't* used the "spreadsheet to Treepad to Keynote" routine for
*those* web pages. That routine works beautifully *IF* "one spreadsheet
row = one HTML file" but I wanted to put more than one row of data from
the spreadsheet on each web page (many photos rather than one per page).
IIRC *now* (no guarantees about that) I just did a lot of grunt work ->
extracted/created each "subset" of infomation then divided it up by
doing a "copy and paste" of each portion (web page) from the spreadsheet
directly into the HTML file.

TextWedge should be a tremendous help as a file splitter for those
"problem" pages (if as and when I get around to revising them). Another
weapon added to the arsenal. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware