ATI video cards and remote problems?

P

Paul

I've read vague posts about the ATI cards and remote desktop and would like
to ask what problems others have had. I can't be sure but it was about the
time I updated my 8500DV card to the latest ATI drivers that I can no longer
use remote desktop. Also, it appears that about this time, when I put my
system in sleep mode it will not stay that way long.
I appreciate the input.

M

Mahadev Alladi[MS]

When you say you are not able to remote desktop, can you tell us what error
you're receiving when you try to RD to your box.

S

sedate-ed

Mahadev said:
When you say you are not able to remote desktop, can you tell us what
error you're receiving when you try to RD to your box.

I have an ATI Radeon AIW 8500DV, and I have been unable to
logoff/restart/shutdown from an RDP session without forcing it (by holding
down Ctrl key while clicking on logoff/restart confirmation dialog). I
can't speak for the original poster, but I have noticed no other issues with
Remote Desktop. I noticed the logoff/restart issue with the Catalyst 3.5
drivers and 3.6 drivers (the latest ATI drivers). I didn't have this
problem with earlier ATI driver releases.

Here is the event log entry at the time of a failed attempted logoff:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: USER32
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1073
Date: 7/25/2003
Time: 12:07:30 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: ED2112
Description:
The attempt to unknown ED2112 failed

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

I get one of these entries for each attempt at a logoff/restart from RDP. I
have no issues with logoff/restart when done locally. I suspect the ATI
drivers, but I cannot say for sure. Any ideas you have would be greatly
appreciated.

Ed

Reaction score
I had the same problem

My company recently bought two new Dell Optiplex 755s and each computer had the same problem. The ATI / AMD suggested drivers didn't work, the Dell suggested drivers didn't work, the only drivers that worked were those suggested by Windows Update. Wish I knew why because now my video drivers aren't up to date. Hope this helps, and if anyone has further information please let me know. orAaron at gmail dot com. Thx.

Reaction score
I have had the same problems. Dell Optiplex 320 with ATI Video drivers. When I start remote desktop and connect. I get the login screen and start to login, then it hangs for a minute or 2, then disconnects and tells me it can't connect. I get to the remote pc and it has BSOD showing ATI2VAG.DLL in text. I updated to latest drivers from ATI and still get BSOD but winlogon.exe. Only way it works right now is if I am still logged into the remote pc when i start remote desktop. That works fine until i logoff or disconnect. Once you logoff and have to run winlogon.exe, it will BSOD. I am going to put back orginal driver set from dell and try it. I have seen other post about conflicts with this because of updates.

If anybody has anything else to add, please do. This is crazy stuff and would like to get this fixed.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Randomly searching the web after I've got my own HTPC up and running with Windows 7. Originally, I had Vista home premium up and running on my HTPC, but I didn't realise that one couldn't use Windows Remote Desktop with the home release.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I discovered UltraVNC remote desktop software, that's currently FREE and it works an absolute treat for accessing PC's from one another around the home.

Right now, I've installed the latest version of UltraVNC onto my Windows 7 machine, so that I can now control it remotely, with out logging users in and out etc. Plus Windows Media Center works through UltraVNC, although a tad jumpy. Where else Windows Remote Desktop killed WMC off, along with Aero theme etc.

Anyway, just thought I'd add my two cents to any forums I come across that are discussing the same problems that I encounter through my htpc journey.

If you're after an AWESOME remote desktop solution that takes less than a minute to setup, that can be run as a Windows service, that doesn't bother HDMI connections, causing loss of monitors etc, then download UltraVNC now! Plus it's free!!!!

Cheers,
BFM

Ask a Question