ATI drivers and dual monitors?

John Doe

I have an x1600Pro.

I have tried ATI driver versions 6.3, 6.4, and 6.5

Every time I restart Windows XP, the ATI drivers reset my secondary
monitor position and taskbar position.

I hope that's considered a bug to be fixed.

William

John:

I run dual monitors off of a x850. I don't have any such problems. However
I keep my taskbar on my primary monitor, and keep the resolution and
position unchanged.

Sounds like you use ati drivers to reset positions or resolutions of the
monitors after the system is up and running? Have you tried setting your
positions with the controls on the monitors instead? You might save some
trouble doing so, as the ati settings are applied as the system is booted up
later in the sequence.

I found out that it is best to do the adjustments as much as possible using
the monitors controls, leaving ati's drivers to do the fine-tuning where the
monitors settings don't just quite get their. That way, everything is
pretty much where I want it as soon as I start up the system, with minor
color and gamma adjustments after ati kicks in near the end of boot-up.

Just shooting in the dark here. I need more information to help you any
more than this.

William

John Doe

William said:
John:

I run dual monitors off of a x850. I don't have any such
problems. However I keep my taskbar on my primary monitor, and
keep the resolution and position unchanged.

The taskbar resets itself to the primary monitor and the monitor
positions revert to the default. Naturally you wouldn't have the
same problems.
Sounds like you use ati drivers to reset positions or resolutions
of the monitors after the system is up and running?

By "monitor positions", I'm not talking about pixel positions
relative to the monitor's picture tube, I'm talking about each
monitor's screen position relative to the other monitor. Those
settings are in Windows XP display properties.

I also have a new occasional problem with the mouse pointer being
corrupted when it crosses the line between the two monitors. The
workaround is to pass the mouse over that line 2 or three more times
until the pointer returns to normal.

I also have a new occasional problem with hard crashing in Windows
XP, apparently also a video card/driver problem.

William

John:

Their is no need to post the entire message header in your replies.

Good luck.

William

John Doe said:
It could be worse. In my opinion, your reply was nearly a troll.
John:

Non-sequitur.

Take a class on Internet etiquette. You need one.

Have a nice day. William

John Doe

Troll

From: "William" <nospam.wlucas pacifier.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Subject: Re: ATI drivers and dual monitors?
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 17:19:43 -0700

John:

Non-sequitur.

Take a class on Internet etiquette. You need one.

Have a nice day. William

William

John Doe said:

You certainly are predictable.

You seem to have an on going problem. You break etiquette, then call people
trolls when they object. Good technique.

You posted on this problem last month. Bad-mouthed ATI the month before.
You called someone else a troll who complained as I did the month before
that. Why don't you just run along and find a different news group to play
in.

This straw-man argument is a waste of my time and off topic for a.c.p.v.a.

No good dead will go unpunished. Sorry I tried to help you. I won't repeat
that mistake again.

Be predictable - say it.

John Doe

You seem to have an on going problem.

Yeah, with my ATI video card.
You break etiquette,

Only a pompous ass uses etiquette as an argument on USENET.
then call people trolls when they object.

I call someone a troll who says they don't have the same problems
because they don't do the same things. At best, to me that is a
waste of time.
You posted on this problem last month.

So the control freak thinks that posting twice in two months is an
offense on USENET. Methinks the control freak is acting naïve.
Bad-mouthed ATI the month before.

I just posted my real-life, updated experience with an ATI video
card. And this is the appropriate group to discuss ATI
videocard/driver problems. If you don't like it, that's just tough,
maybe your mommy can explain it to you.
Why don't you just run along and find a different news group to
play in.

Because you don't tell me or any other author on USENET what to do.
No good dead will go unpunished. Sorry I tried to help you. I
won't repeat that mistake again.

I'd like to believe that your big head won't waste my time anymore.
But I don't.