Athlon XP Recommendations?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm hopefully going to get a Watercooling system for overclocking my PC (a new venture here :eek: ), and probably an Athlon XP based system (as its cheaper).

What sort of CPU would you recommend, and what sort of speed could it clock to? I've seen some good XP 1800+ CPUs so far, but need some more opinions :D

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
if your not gonna unlock it ,then an 1800+ would be good ,just try to hand pick it and get a good stepping ,if you were gonna unlock it for sure though ,a 15 or 1600 would be just as good if you got the right stepping,that is since AMD builds all there chips identical and on the same exact core,but they only lock the multiplier differently ,and test it to make sure its stable at the locked speed.

wildone

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you find that your 1700+ overclocked beats most P4's out there?

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
Well I will let you know for sure when I get my new board ,I am running on a barebones rig atm haveing parted out and cleaned the componets of my main rig anticipating my new board,but I think at defaut(1470 I think ) its right around intells 1900-2000 P4's,I think while mine is overclocked though the PR is like 2400-2500 ,cant remember for sure though.

wildone

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
OMG I have something for you too see now , get a 1600+ and pray you get lucky with the stepping like I did , AGOGI is the stepping for overclocking, check out these numbers.I am gaining on the 2.66ghz pentium 4 ;)

1880.JPG

Let me know what you think about that ;)

wildone

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
Originally posted by Platinum
Ive got the 2400+, very nice chip, mine clocked to 2.35Ghz on air.

Nice,I got a new tbred also,its the tbred A though,and will only do around 2100,but I run it at 1910 to save all my data and my drives,11.5X166,but its an 1800 + cpu.

wildone

Reaction score
what did you decide on? why not just get a 2500+ barton like i did..

edit: yes i know this is an old thread

Ask a Question