ATA 100 or 133?

Reaction score
Ive finally decided that im going to replace my small, virus riddled hard disk with a new one. I currently have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80gb UDMA/ATA 100.

Can i put an ATA 133 in, or would that be incompatable?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
it all depends on your motherboard but im pretty sure that its backwards compatible

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
Ive finally decided that im going to replace my small, virus riddled hard disk with a new one. I currently have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80gb UDMA/ATA 100.

Can i put an ATA 133 in, or would that be incompatable?
Yes, you can use a 133, you may even see a slight improvement, say about 3% if the MB can use 133, but it won't matter.

:D

Reaction score
cool thanks.

one more thing

i've never replaced a hard drive before, so will my internet still work with the new one, or will i need to install the software again?

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
If its a straight swap , everything will have to be reloaded , Operating System and all ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You could mirror the drive but maybe a fresh install will be better. :)

Reaction score
yeah ill have to pick up a fresh copy of xp too, as i lost my xp install disk about 3 years ago :p

any idea if i can bypass the ntl software? I mean will the internet connect if i don't install the software?

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
If you format the old drive , It could save you a sum of money to reinstall the software again other than to buy a new one ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Mucks knows more about ntl than i would, but you may be able to use the DUN wizard? Thats how i use my connection, i never use the software. :)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Originally posted by potguy

yeah ill have to pick up a fresh copy of xp too, as i lost my xp install disk about 3 years ago :p

Is the XP code not stuck to your tower somewhere ?

Reaction score
yeah, but with no disk, i can't install.

i thought about formatting, but i need a higher cpacity anyway, and i can give this one to you guys for crunching if im successful

Reaction score
well tomorrow im going to buy a Deskstar T7K250 160gb, so can anyone give me a sort of guide to replacing it? I really don't want to do it wrong because i wouldnt be able to get on here and ask you guys how to fix it... :p

I dont know how to format or partition or anything. im an idiot.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I was asking the same question a while back (Never did format in the end...), and someone (ME__2001 i think) gave me a link to http://www.windowsreinstall.com/ It gives you loads of info on how to do a format and reinstall. :)

I suggest you print some stuff off... :thumb:

Fitting the drive is dead easy,

Make sure the jumper is set correctly, fit it in your case by screwing it into one of the drive bays, connect the IDE/SATA and power cables, Thats it. :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
might have been me, dont remeber it but its bookmarked for the future

swapping the drive is pretty easy

first up unplug it from the wall, hit the power button to drain the PSU, open the case (you'll need to take off both sides), disconect the power and ribbon, remove the screws and slide out the drive

on the new drive set the jumper to master then do the above in reverse

now check you haven't knocke any other cables etc, plug the monitor, mouse and keyboard in and plug it into the wall (leave the sides off for now), hit the power and you'll probably get a beep code of some sort

put your XP disc into the drive and restart, you may need to change the boot order (not sure on this, you may need to check your manual)

then follow the guide below

http://www.bitbenderforums.com/vb22/showthread.php?&threadid=46039

Reaction score
thanks alot guys.

my internet has been playing up all night. it goes on for a minute and then cant find an ip, i put a new one in, it works for another 5 mins and then cuts off again. It will be alright by the morning though.

sorry if i dont reply again, ill try but i cant promise anything

Reaction score
anyone know where to pick up a cheap copy of xp pro - OEM or something?

ebay has a few good deals but they don't end for days

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you can get XP home SP2 OEM from overclockers for £60 or XP Pro for £100

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I think Pro has a better home network set up. But dont quote me.

Myself i got home and had no probs. :)

Ask a Question