asus a8v deluxe shutting down

ldg

I build a couple of computers a year. but in this case, I'm replacing
a motherboard that died and simply transferring parts to the new one.
(The old one died due to a bad flash. msi Neo 2 platinum)

This is the first time I've had a computer that simply shuts down
after a few minutes.

I'm thinking it's acting as though the cpu is overheating and it's
shutting down on thermal overload. I can briefly get into the bios
and look at the cpu temp before it goes away. It gets up to 66 and
then shuts down.

The odd thing is I'm using one of the large 120mm Zalman heat sinks.
On the old board, this same cpu and heatsink produced cpu temps at
about 39 degrees. So the reported temp is high. I've cleaned and
replaced the heatsink a couple of times now (arctic silver II) and
though it could still be the heatsink I guess, it's becoming harder to
believe. On the other hand, it stays on longer after it sits a while
(and the cpu has a chance to cool). So it sure seems like a
temperature problem. Either that or the old motherboard killed the
cpu?

I have corsair memory in it (xms low latency). The little led's flash
and carry on. Somehow it's hard to blame $300 memory for this, but
I'm open to suggestion. There are 2-512meg matched sticks.

The supply is 400 watts ($150). The video card is a PNY Quadro 700
agp which seems to be working. There are no other cards. There are 2
disk drives, a dvd drive, and a floppy.

There's a voice reporter on this motherboard. I don't have speakers
hooked up at the moment, but I might see if this might lead somewhere.
It's supposed to report boot diagnostics.

Any ideas? suggestions?

Regards,
Larry

Wes Newell

This is the first time I've had a computer that simply shuts down after a
few minutes.

I'm thinking it's acting as though the cpu is overheating and it's
shutting down on thermal overload. I can briefly get into the bios and
look at the cpu temp before it goes away. It gets up to 66 and then shuts
down.
Same thing happened here when the cpu fan failed.
The odd thing is I'm using one of the large 120mm Zalman heat sinks. On
the old board, this same cpu and heatsink produced cpu temps at about 39
degrees. So the reported temp is high. I've cleaned and replaced the
heatsink a couple of times now (arctic silver II) and though it could
still be the heatsink I guess, it's becoming harder to believe. On the
other hand, it stays on longer after it sits a while (and the cpu has a
chance to cool). So it sure seems like a temperature problem. Either
that or the old motherboard killed the cpu?
Could be it's just not seating properly on the cpu.
I have corsair memory in it (xms low latency). The little led's flash
and carry on. Somehow it's hard to blame $300 memory for this, but I'm
open to suggestion. There are 2-512meg matched sticks.
Try memtest.
The supply is 400 watts ($150). The video card is a PNY Quadro 700 agp
which seems to be working. There are no other cards. There are 2 disk
drives, a dvd drive, and a floppy.
400W seems a little small to me. I'm using a 600W ($20).:)
There's a voice reporter on this motherboard. I don't have speakers
hooked up at the moment, but I might see if this might lead somewhere.
It's supposed to report boot diagnostics.

Any ideas? suggestions?
If it's not the cpu overheating, I'd say it's the PSU going into overload.
Doesn't that video card draw a lot of power? Hook up the speakeers and see
if it talks.

ldg

Could be it's just not seating properly on the cpu.

It could be I suppose. I alternate screws when I tighten to seat the
heatsink evenly. When I take the heat sink off, the thermal paste
seems to be spread evenly. I'm cleaning with pure alcohol and q-tips,
so there's not an issue with contaminants.
Try memtest.

I think it would have to stay powered up longer than 45 seconds to do
this ?
400W seems a little small to me. I'm using a 600W ($20).:)

It powered the neo2 platinum for months with no problems. The rest of
the hardware besides the motherboard hasn't been changed.
If it's not the cpu overheating, I'd say it's the PSU going into overload.
Doesn't that video card draw a lot of power?

It doesn't have a fan, so I'd say it's not much of a power hog . . .
it's been in the machine for months now with the previous motherboard.

Hook up the speakers and see
if it talks.

It doesn't say a word. I tried it a moment ago. The speakers buzz if
I touch the plug, so I know they're on. They get quiet when I plug
them into the computer. Then nothing.

Regards,
Larry

dino

try starting it with only one stick of memory and video card..nothing else
plugged in.

KMS

ldg said:
I build a couple of computers a year. but in this case, I'm replacing
a motherboard that died and simply transferring parts to the new one.
(The old one died due to a bad flash. msi Neo 2 platinum)

This is the first time I've had a computer that simply shuts down
after a few minutes.

I used to have this board. If I remember correctly I had the same problem in
the beginning. This board had some "automatic overclocking" set on in BIOS
by default. The clock speed was default, but for some reason the core
voltage was way too high... thus caused overheating. Does it stay on long
enough to see the CPU core voltage in the BIOS "health monitoring" (or
called something like that?)
I'm thinking it's acting as though the cpu is overheating and it's
shutting down on thermal overload. I can briefly get into the bios
and look at the cpu temp before it goes away. It gets up to 66 and
then shuts down.

It should not get this high with Zalman heat sink...

Also, in the BIOS you should be able to change the temperature shutdown
limit to a higher limit.

ldg

"ldg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
I used to have this board. If I remember correctly I had the same problem in
the beginning. This board had some "automatic overclocking" set on in BIOS
by default. The clock speed was default, but for some reason the core
voltage was way too high... thus caused overheating. Does it stay on long
enough to see the CPU core voltage in the BIOS "health monitoring" (or
called something like that?)

I don't get to see the bios health monitoring for very long before it
shuts down. The last time I concentrated on this and saw that this
was 66F, not C. This is very cool for a thermal shut down, so it must
be something else.

Disconnecting the drives made a huge change. Now it doesn't even try
to post. I had one sata and one pata drive in it previously. I may
add back just the pata drive to see if it detects it.

Regards,
Larry

Gojira

Since everything worked properly with the old board,I doubt it's power
related.It is possible the CPU itself was damaged.You didn't mention what
kind it is,perhaps the boards' bios needs a different version to support
it.The only way to test it is try a another CPU with the board.The one
complaint I've heard about the Asus is that there's been a high incidence of
bad chipset coolers on them.Don't know if that could be the source of the
overheating behavior you mentioned.

Midnight

ldg said:
[...]

Did you by chance clear the cmos? If not, I would try that.

Also, as someone stated, you may need a bios update, however, you will have
to find a cpu that will let you boot up long enough to do so.

Daniel

Midnight

ldg said:
[...]

I would also post your question in the following user group:

alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus

you may get more answers there.

ldg

Did you by chance clear the cmos? If not, I would try that.

Also, as someone stated, you may need a bios update, however, you will have
to find a cpu that will let you boot up long enough to do so.

This is a new board just purchased from Newegg. I've not changed
anything in the bios, so I didn't think clearing the cmos would help
much. Perhaps it would.

The cpu is an amd 3500+ 939 that most current versions of the bios
should support. This particular board claims to support even the X2,
so I hopefully it would also support the older processor.

Regards,
Larry

ldg

Since everything worked properly with the old board,I doubt it's power
related.It is possible the CPU itself was damaged.You didn't mention what
kind it is,perhaps the boards' bios needs a different version to support
it.The only way to test it is try a another CPU with the board.The one
complaint I've heard about the Asus is that there's been a high incidence of
bad chipset coolers on them.

This is what I'm thinking. The older 3500+ is pretty cheap these
days. Perhaps I should just buy another one to try . . .?

I was going to buy an X2 4800+ to go in this board after I got it
running with the old processor. Now I'd be afraid to install an $800
processor on the board.

I may just take this to a local computer shop where they would have
spare cpu's and memory lying about to try on the board. Right now I
can't get off top dead center. This is supposed to be a replacement
for my main work computer.

I thought it might be the low frequency fan (Zalman 120mm) causing
problems, so I hooked the Zalman up to the chassis fan pin and plugged
in an older fan from a stock cooler (sounds like a hoover . . .) This
had no effect.

Regards,
Larry

ldg

I would also post your question in the following user group:

alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus

you may get more answers there.

Thanks for this. I just did.

Regards,
Larry

Midnight

ldg said:
This is a new board just purchased from Newegg. I've not changed
anything in the bios, so I didn't think clearing the cmos would help
much. Perhaps it would.

The cpu is an amd 3500+ 939 that most current versions of the bios
should support. This particular board claims to support even the X2,
so I hopefully it would also support the older processor.

Regards,
Larry

I understand your thoughts about the bios, however, after many builds, I've
learned to always clear the cmos before fireing them up. All it takes is a
little static electricity or something to mess it up in shipping, or even
just during the build. Not enought to cause perminate damage however, just
enough to goof things up. I've had some that wouldn't even boot till I
cleared it.

Daniel

OldFartJC

ldg said:
This is a new board just purchased from Newegg. I've not changed
anything in the bios, so I didn't think clearing the cmos would help
much. Perhaps it would.

You should always clear the CMOS, it can correct many problems and is one of
the simpler things to do. Do the the easy stuff first then go on to the
harder stuff when troubleshooting.

ldg

Any Luck??

I don't know if this was luck. I'm so busy with work these days I
don't really have time to troubleshoot. I really need the machine, so
I took it down to a local computer shop. They tried all new
components except the processor on the board and nothing worked. They
tried another supply, disconnected everything, took the board out of
the case and it still didn't work. Finally, they grabbed another
board and put my components in it. It worked first time.

So I bought the new board and had them install it. Now I have a
working machine.

The amazing thing to everyone is when they turned the machine on,
linux booted and completely reconfigured itself to the new
motherboard. No one could believe it. All my stuff is there in tact.
All I have to do now is figure out how to get a nic working.
Apparently the marvel 8001 chip isn't supported in Redhat WS3. The
audio isn't working either, but I can do without that for a while.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Regards,
Larry

Midnight

ldg said:
[...]

Glad to hear you got a working machine. Sounds like you may have got a bad
Asus A8V board.

Daniel