Assign shortcut key to custom menu in Word

G

Okay so, various web searches have failed to turn up anything on this..

I've created a custom menu in Word 2000 that contains various bits of functionality which my users will need to use quite often. I'd like to assign an ALT+key shortcut key (in the same way that ALT + "f" brings down the File menu) to this menu, but none of the options given when customising Word will allow me to do this.

I would also like to assign further shortcuts to the various items in the custom menu, so that they can be accessed by pressing ALT + key + some other key (in the same way that one may save a document by pressing ALT + "f" + "s"). I've already instituted a workaround to this, where the items are accessed via a userform (accessed via a shortcut key, which then accepts a further shortcut key combination to activate the desired functionality), but this is a little clunky and counterintuitive - I'd like my additions to operate as closely as possible as the usual Word menus to preserve usability (and just 'cos, darnit, I want to do it properly!

Many thanks in advance for your help

Ganeth

K

Klaus Linke

Hi Ganeth,

In the caption, simply put an "&" before the letter you want to use as a ALT-shortcut.

Say you have a menu item with the caption "My macro", and you want to use Alt+M, change the caption to "&My macro".
The "M" will be underlined (if ALT-shortcut keys *are* underlined... I think there is a Windows or Word option not to display them,
but don't remember where it's found).

You'd have to look out for conflicts with already existing shortcuts. But it works just the same for submenus.

I don't follow what you are doing with the user form, but it's probably not necessary :)

Greetings,
Klaus

G

Knew it'd be something simple... Thanks Klaus, that works a treat

FYI, the userform simply listed all the user-defined macros that my users need. The form was activated by CTRL+; , and the users could then select which macro they needed, either by selecting with the mouse from a listbox or using a further CTRL + key shortcut. However, I'll no longer need that

Many thanks

Ganeth

Ask a Question