Are there any tablet PC's that can run Windows XP?

XP Guy

Are there any tablet PC's that can run Windows XP?

And I mean can they *run* XP.

I'm not asking if or which ones come with XP installed (obviously none
do any more).

I would guess that the list would include any tablets that are being
sold today with Windows 7 - because I don't think that any that come
with android or ios can be hacked to run XP natively (correct me if I'm
wrong about that).

I'd like to know if any windoze-7 tablet can run XP, and can work with
any USB mouse and keyboard.

My strategy would be to take out the hard drive, either keep the drive
or get a larger drive, slave the drive to a PC and format it as FAT-32,
make the drive bootable into win-98 DOS, copy an image of a Win-XP cd to
the drive, re-install the drive back into the tablet and turn it on, get
it to boot into DOS, and then start the XP install process. I'd keep
the drive formatted as FAT-32 so I could dual-boot into DOS/XP (which I
find very handy to do). I might make a small NTFS partition (for any
media files that would be more than 4 gb in size).

David H. Lipman

From: "XP Guy said:
[...]

You would have to check the manufacturer's web site and see if the platform has driver's
for XP.

Paul

XP said:
[...]

You could take a look through the flavors offered here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_editions#Tablet_PC_Edition

Paul

Yousuf Khan

[...]

I suppose you could always run XP in a virtual-XP machine under Windows
7, and presumably a similar virtual machine can run under Windows 8 when
it comes out. It won't be anything that's fast however.

Yousuf Khan

Vic RR Garcia

I suppose you could always run XP in a virtual-XP machine under Windows
7, and presumably a similar virtual machine can run under Windows 8 when
it comes out. It won't be anything that's fast however.

Yousuf Khan

Virtual machines in a TABLET PC ?????

That's about as crazy an idea as the OP running Win-98 DOS in that
tablet PC.
If you can get it working, it'll be 2 or more hours just to boot.

John Doe

Vic RR Garcia said:
Yousuf Khan wrote:
Virtual machines in a TABLET PC ?????

That's about as crazy an idea as the OP running Win-98 DOS in
that tablet PC. If you can get it working, it'll be 2 or more
hours just to boot.

Are you sure about that?

Yousuf Khan

Virtual machines in a TABLET PC ?????

That's about as crazy an idea as the OP running Win-98 DOS in that
tablet PC.
If you can get it working, it'll be 2 or more hours just to boot.

Well, it is a PC Tablet he's talking about here, not just some old ARM
tablet. The processors could be quite powerful in this one if you wanted
it to be. Plus there's virtualization support built into most x86
processors these days.

Yousuf Khan

XP Guy

Yousuf said:
Well, it is a PC Tablet he's talking about here, not just some old
ARM tablet. The processors could be quite powerful in this one if
you wanted it to be. Plus there's virtualization support built
into most x86 processors these days.

My point was to run XP natively - not under some crazy-ass Win-8
virtualization.

And anything can run DOS - so long as it has a conventional PC BIOS -
which I have no idea if any current win-8 tablet has, and probably
neither does anyone here...

Vic RR Garcia

My point was to run XP natively - not under some crazy-ass Win-8
virtualization.

And anything can run DOS - so long as it has a conventional PC BIOS -
which I have no idea if any current win-8 tablet has, and probably
neither does anyone here...

And that's the crux, no tablet has PC BIOS, or keyboard or Floppy, or
IDE disk.
Win98-DOS require those 3 devices to boot.

John Doe

Vic RR Garcia said:
Yes, virtual-machines eats lots of CPU and Memory,

Yeah, but that process has been around for a very long time, and
hardware has improved exponentially.

Anyway... I wouldn't promote it in this situation, so that's
mostly curiosity.

Vic RR Garcia

Well, it is a PC Tablet he's talking about here, not just some old ARM
tablet. The processors could be quite powerful in this one if you wanted
it to be. Plus there's virtualization support built into most x86
processors these days.

Yousuf Khan

There is not that much difference between an ARM and a glorified Celeron
i5, none of then have the punch to run a virtual-machine, and do some
real work.

Yousuf Khan

My point was to run XP natively - not under some crazy-ass Win-8
virtualization.

Why would make a difference? It'll get the same job done.
And anything can run DOS - so long as it has a conventional PC BIOS -
which I have no idea if any current win-8 tablet has, and probably
neither does anyone here...

Well, all of those requirements would be emulated inside a
virtualization window.

Yousuf Khan

BillW50

Vic RR Garcia said:
And that's the crux, no tablet has PC BIOS, or keyboard or Floppy, or
IDE disk.
Win98-DOS require those 3 devices to boot.

Actually if your machine supports booting from USB (which they basically
all do since 2003 or so) then DOS can boot from a flash, external hard
drive, etc. For example, I moved my Windows 98SE Startup disk to a flash
drive. And it runs well.

Paul

BillW50 said:
Actually if your machine supports booting from USB (which they basically
all do since 2003 or so) then DOS can boot from a flash, external hard
drive, etc. For example, I moved my Windows 98SE Startup disk to a flash
drive. And it runs well.

As I understand it, the reason it works, is DOS uses extended INT 0x13
calls, even when it's running. And by doing it that way, DOS is one
of the fortunate ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Int_13h

Other OSes use their own drivers, and pick the worst time to switch
over to using those drivers.

Paul

XP Guy

Vic said:
And that's the crux, no tablet has PC BIOS

And you know that - how?
or keyboard or Floppy, or IDE disk.
Win98-DOS require those 3 devices to boot.

Wrong.

I can take a SATA drive, slave it to a win-98 system and format it (with
/s option) and re-install the drive back into the target system and it
will boot into DOS. No floppy drive, no IDE drive required.

(I run win-98 on a socket-775 motherboard with 3.46 ghz cpu, with a pair
of SATA hard drives (1.5 tb and 750 tb just so you know).

Vic RR Garcia

And you know that - how?

I read the specs.
Wrong.

I can take a SATA drive, slave it to a win-98 system and format it (with
/s option) and re-install the drive back into the target system and it
will boot into DOS. No floppy drive, no IDE drive required.

Because your BIOS is doing IDE emulation of the HDD controller.
Change that emulation to native AHCI, and try to boot.
(I run win-98 on a socket-775 motherboard with 3.46 ghz cpu, with a pair
of SATA hard drives (1.5 tb and 750 tb just so you know).

Yes, that fine with old hardware, but you want to install it into a
tablet, NEW hardware.

John Doe

If you insist on crossposting to UseNet,
please introduce prior authors.

From: XP Guy <XP Guy.com>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows-xp
Subject: Re: Are there any tablet PC's that can run Windows XP?
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 08:45:23 -0400
And that's the crux, no tablet has PC BIOS

And you know that - how?
or keyboard or Floppy, or IDE disk.
Win98-DOS require those 3 devices to boot.

Wrong.

I can take a SATA drive, slave it to a win-98 system and format it (with
/s option) and re-install the drive back into the target system and it
will boot into DOS. No floppy drive, no IDE drive required.

(I run win-98 on a socket-775 motherboard with 3.46 ghz cpu, with a pair
of SATA hard drives (1.5 tb and 750 tb just so you know).

MotoFox

And it came to pass that 98 Guy delivered the following message unto the
people, saying~
Are there any tablet *snip*
4 gb in size).

Oh, *you're* here now. Well, this is going to be phun......

Whatsamatter, your listing of m.p.w98.g_d on AIOE dry up?

Flasherly

And you know that - how?

PC BIOS. Like that. No such thing. It starts CP/M then switches to
IBM, which promptly dropped the ball, for variants mainly prefixed
with MS. Then it gets so complex, just say not good enough as if it
were OBDOS for obfuscating, whereupon someone simply had to cash in on
GUIDOS;- but, hey, why ever bother, when on a jellyroll, when chipping
I/O hardware into more variants, tablets, hand-held telecommunication
relays, or $50k car dashboard yuppie gizmos -- all of which are soooo
much more lucrative. . . It's the American Dream come true, per force,
for virtually nobody that didn't originally buy into the leather
trader's 80XX instruction layer at RatShack, premier home to a network
of real work coming out of garage-shop computer hobbyists. Hell, if
somebody only had half and idea now about contacting Tom Cruise in
setting up mission-intensive accomplishment camp outside of Orem,
Utah, and reinventing WordStar for the Tablet, long last getting rid
of all these extant bulky boxes, what . . . with the finance
intelligence community and all they know know about derivatives, the
world as we know could be ushered and transformed to a Golden Age
rivaling Plato's predilection for the Fall of Greece.