Archiving Email via Group Policy

Emily Lin

Hi SJMP,

Which version of Outlook are you using? We can use the outlook11.adm file to configure the autoarchive in Outlook 2003 via Group
Policy. It is similar if you are using Outlook 2007. Following is the key steps.

Download the Administrative Template file and extract it. You will find several *.adm files including the outlook11.adm file.

Office 2003 Service Pack 3 Administrative Template (ADM), OPAs, and Explain Text Update
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...20-edc2-479b-b115-5abb70b3f490&DisplayLang=en

2007 Office System Administrative Templates (ADM)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9A-E143-4AEE-8F7A-E4BBAEBA13E7&displaylang=en

1. Create a Group Policy Object on the domain controller and edit it.
2. In Group Policy Object Editor, expand User Configuration, right-click Administrative Templates, and then click Add/Remove
Templates.
3. In the Add/Remove Templates dialog box, click Add.
4. Select Outlook11.adm, and then click Open.
5. Confirm that outlook11 was added to the Add/Remove Templates dialog box, and then click Close.

6. Expand to the User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Microsoft Office Outlook 2003\Tools|Options\Other\AutoArchive.

7. In the right pane, double-click "autoarchive settings". Choose Enable. Set the archive as you want. Click OK.
8. Close Group Policy Object Editor.

9. Deploy the GPO to get the setting applied to all the users on your domain.

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Emily Lin

Microsoft Online Partner Support
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

| From: "SJMP" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Archiving Email via Group Policy
| Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:42:50 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
| Can you configure and automate Email Archiving in Outlook via Group Policy?

SJMP

Great

Thanks Emily

Emily Lin said:
[...]

rights.

--------------------
| From: "SJMP" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Archiving Email via Group Policy
| Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:42:50 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
| Can you configure and automate Email Archiving in Outlook via Group
Policy?

Emily Lin

Hello SJMP,

Appreciate your update and response. I am glad to hear that the information is helpful.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. It is always my pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Emily Lin
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "SJMP" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Archiving Email via Group Policy
| Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:57:50 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
| Great
|
| Thanks Emily
|
| | > Hi SJMP,
| >
| > Which version of Outlook are you using? We can use the outlook11.adm file
| > to configure the autoarchive in Outlook 2003 via Group
| > Policy. It is similar if you are using Outlook 2007. Following is the key
| > steps.
| >
| > Download the Administrative Template file and extract it. You will find
| > several *.adm files including the outlook11.adm file.
| >
| > Office 2003 Service Pack 3 Administrative Template (ADM), OPAs, and
| > Explain Text Update
| > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...20-edc2-479b-b115-5abb70b3f490&DisplayLang=en
| >
| > 2007 Office System Administrative Templates (ADM)
| > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9A-E143-4AEE-8F7A-E4BBAEBA13E7&displaylang=en
| >
| > 1. Create a Group Policy Object on the domain controller and edit it.
| > 2. In Group Policy Object Editor, expand User Configuration, right-click
| > Administrative Templates, and then click Add/Remove
| > Templates.
| > 3. In the Add/Remove Templates dialog box, click Add.
| > 4. Select Outlook11.adm, and then click Open.
| > 5. Confirm that outlook11 was added to the Add/Remove Templates dialog
| > box, and then click Close.
| >
| > 6. Expand to the User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Microsoft
| > Office Outlook 2003\Tools|Options\Other\AutoArchive.
| >
| > 7. In the right pane, double-click "autoarchive settings". Choose Enable.
| > Set the archive as you want. Click OK.
| > 8. Close Group Policy Object Editor.
| >
| > 9. Deploy the GPO to get the setting applied to all the users on your
| > domain.
| >
| > If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
| > hesitate to contact me.
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Emily Lin
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > ====================================================
| > rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "SJMP" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Archiving Email via Group Policy
| > | Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:42:50 -0400
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
| > |
| > | Can you configure and automate Email Archiving in Outlook via Group
| > Policy?
| > |

IcemanV1

Get Secure! -www.microsoft.com/security

| From: "SJMP" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: ArchivingEmailvia GroupPolicy
| Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:57:50 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
| Great
|
| Thanks Emily
|
|| > Hi SJMP,
| >
| > Which version of Outlook are you using? We can use the outlook11.adm file
| > to configure the autoarchive in Outlook 2003 via Group
| >Policy. It is similar if you are using Outlook 2007. Following is the key
| > steps.
| >
| > Download the Administrative Template file and extract it. You will find
| > several *.adm files including the outlook11.adm file.
| >
| > Office 2003 Service Pack 3 Administrative Template (ADM), OPAs, and
| > Explain Text Update
| >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ba8bc720-edc...
| >
| > 2007 Office System Administrative Templates (ADM)
| >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=92D8519A-E14...
| >
| > 1. Create a GroupPolicyObject on the domain controller and edit it.
| > 2. In GroupPolicyObject Editor, expand User Configuration, right-click
| > Administrative Templates, and then click Add/Remove
| > Templates.
| > 3. In the Add/Remove Templates dialog box, click Add.
| > 4. Select Outlook11.adm, and then click Open.
| > 5. Confirm that outlook11 was added to the Add/Remove Templates dialog
| > box, and then click Close.
| >
| > 6. Expand to the User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Microsoft
| > Office Outlook 2003\Tools|Options\Other\AutoArchive.
| >
| > 7. In the right pane, double-click "autoarchive settings". Choose Enable.
| > Set thearchiveas you want. Click OK.
| > 8. Close GroupPolicyObject Editor.
| >
| > 9. Deploy the GPO to get the setting applied to all the users on your
| > domain.
| >
| > If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
| > hesitate to contact me.
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Emily Lin
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| > Get Secure! -www.microsoft.com/security
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > ====================================================
| > rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "SJMP" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: ArchivingEmailvia GroupPolicy
| > | Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:42:50 -0400
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
| > |
| > | Can you configure and automateEmailArchiving in Outlook via Group
| >Policy?
| > |

I have implemented the GPO as you have described, but it appears to be
missing 2 rather important settings (PST file location and Set all
folders). Am I missing those or are they someplace else?

Thank-you
Bill