Archiving closed .pst files

Wowbagger

Is there -anything- out there that can archive closed .pst files in addition
to the typical search targets? I have users who routinely collect 40-60 Gb
of emails a year: obviously they can't keep them in the primary .pst and
having all of the archive .pst files open bogs Outlook down to the point of
unusability but they have to be able to search through the documents and
retrieve them at any time.

Has anybody else faced and solved this problem?

Pat Willener

I don't understand what you mean by "obviously they can't keep them in
the primary .pst ..."; I have all my mail ever received since Outlook 97
in one PST file, and I don't see why this should be a problem.

What Outlook version is causing problems with your users?

VanguardLH

Wowbagger said:
Is there -anything- out there that can archive closed .pst files in addition
to the typical search targets? I have users who routinely collect 40-60 Gb
of emails a year: obviously they can't keep them in the primary .pst and
having all of the archive .pst files open bogs Outlook down to the point of
unusability but they have to be able to search through the documents and
retrieve them at any time.

Has anybody else faced and solved this problem?

So why not tell these users to NOT open those archive .pst files in
Outlook until if and when they need to look inside them? They were
archive .pst files. They were never automatically opened in Outlook.
The *users* had to use File -> Open menu to go open those archive .pst
files (and so they would open each time Outlook got loaded). So have
them right-click on an archive .pst file and close it. When they next
open Outlook, those closed archive .pst files will not get reopened.

Wowbagger

Pat Willener said:
I don't understand what you mean by "obviously they can't keep them in the
primary .pst ..."; I have all my mail ever received since Outlook 97 in one
PST file, and I don't see why this should be a problem.

What Outlook version is causing problems with your users?

2003 and 2007.

They can't stay in the primary .pst because the .pst simply gets too large -
20Gb and counting since March for one of the users. Among other performance
and backup issues, if there is ever any kind of glitch then it takes well
over an hour to do the "verifying data" thing and we just don't have the
time to shut a user down while the .pst scans itself.

Wowbagger

That's exactly it - I want to archive them but they need to be available for
retrieval.

Diane Poremsky said:
How large is your pst? 40-60 Gb is large for a pst. Archiving the messages
would be better.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

mailto:[email protected]

Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Pat Willener said:
I don't understand what you mean by "obviously they can't keep them in
the primary .pst ..."; I have all my mail ever received since Outlook 97
in one PST file, and I don't see why this should be a problem.

What Outlook version is causing problems with your users?

Wowbagger

Which is exactly what I'd like to do, but emails from three months ago need
to be referenced all the time. As it stands if I close the archive .pst
files then they won't be indexed (acutally, they'll be de-indexed) then if
we need to find something in them we have to spend far more time than we
should have to searching through to find what we need.

Gordon

Wowbagger said:
They can't stay in the primary .pst because the .pst simply gets too
large - 20Gb and counting since March for one of the users.

Just out of interest, why is the size of these emails so large? Do they
REALLY need to keep all this stuff?

Wowbagger

And they can, but at $2,500 for the first license and $1,500 for each
additional that just isn't going to work.

Diane Poremsky said:
Check out the utilities at sherpasoftware.com. If they can't do it, I
don't think anyone can.

--

Wowbagger said:
Is there -anything- out there that can archive closed .pst files in
addition to the typical search targets? I have users who routinely
collect 40-60 Gb of emails a year: obviously they can't keep them in the
primary .pst and having all of the archive .pst files open bogs Outlook
down to the point of unusability but they have to be able to search
through the documents and retrieve them at any time.

Has anybody else faced and solved this problem?

Wowbagger

They really need to keep this stuff - attachments and all with the dates,
times and senders/recipients.

Wowbagger

I use that on my own machine but I run into the occasional glitch that would
throw the less-geeky users for a loop. Not quite ready for prime-time.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Well.. do they need the messages in a PST? Would archiving them as HTML or
PDF on the hard drive meet your needs?

--

Wowbagger said:
Is there -anything- out there that can archive closed .pst files in
addition to the typical search targets? I have users who routinely
collect 40-60 Gb of emails a year: obviously they can't keep them in the
primary .pst and having all of the archive .pst files open bogs Outlook
down to the point of unusability but they have to be able to search
through the documents and retrieve them at any time.

Has anybody else faced and solved this problem?

Wowbagger

Keeping everything in the pst file is easiest for the users as everything -
and I mean EVERYTHING is done via email.

I might be able to get away with stripping out the attachments after a month
or two but that still leaves at least a couple of gigs in the active .pst at
any given time.

"Wowbagger" <privacy, please> wrote in message
Is there -anything- out there that can archive closed .pst files in
addition to the typical search targets? I have users who routinely
collect 40-60 Gb of emails a year: obviously they can't keep them in
the primary .pst and having all of the archive .pst files open bogs
Outlook down to the point of unusability but they have to be able to
search through the documents and retrieve them at any time.

Has anybody else faced and solved this problem?

wangdong

To fix .pst files,youou can try a popular Outlook recovery tool called
Advanced Outlook Repair to repair your PST file. It is a powerful tool
to recover messages, folders and other objects from corrupt or damaged
Microsoft Outlook PST files.

Detailed information about Advanced Outlook Repair can be found at
http://www.datanumen.com/aor/

And you can also download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe
Good luck!
Wangdong

Gordon

wangdong said:
To fix .pst files,youou can try a popular Outlook recovery tool called
Advanced Outlook Repair to repair your PST file. It is a powerful tool
to recover messages, folders and other objects from corrupt or damaged
Microsoft Outlook PST files.

Detailed information about Advanced Outlook Repair can be found at
http://www.datanumen.com/aor/

And you can also download a free demo version at
http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe
Good luck!
Wangdong

To whom are you talking and about what? Please QUOTE the post you are
replying to - this is NOT a chat room.

Thank you.