Append Query and Combo Lookup Problems

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a main table in which you can select values for fields from various other tables. I have then set up an append query to pull this data into a new record in a new table which also allows the data to be edited. I am encountering two problems:

1. It will only allow me to pull in each record once, otherwise it throws up an error.

2. The values it populates the new record with is not the text value of the main table but because this uses the lookup function, the ID number, which is useless / meaningless.

So (as there is a lot of data i'm simplifying this a lot):

Table 5's records allow you to select values from Tables 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, & 7. This is to be data that is set up in advance to form a starting point for records in Table 8. Here you can select a record from Table 5 and I want it to duplicate all the fields into Table 8, where the data is editable. Ie Table 5 can act as a template. However, it seems it will only act as a template the once for each record in table 5, whereas I need to be able to use the same data as a starting point many times. Also the values it pulls up are value IDs: 1, 2 & 3 etc rather than the actual value.

I did start by approaching this problem a different way, by using a combo box in Table 8 to select the appropriate record in table 5 to run a select query with. This works fine but simply runs the query. How would I then get the values pulled up in the query copied into the record I have open in Table 8 (and not just the value IDs)?

Any help would be much appreciated - I have trawled forums and tried many different suggestions I have found to similar questions but with no success so far.

Thanks,

Mark

Ask a Question