Apparent Chkdsk bug on NTFS Firewire drives...

G

For starters, I'm a technically-oriented IT pro with over 35 years working in the computer industry. In addition, I have over 22 years working on PCs running a variety of operating systems. So, I'm both thorough AND highly experienced when it comes to analyzing and diagnosing hardware and software problems.

I'm running XP Home Edition on a Compaq Presario Laptop model 1510. Attached to this machine via the 1394 firewire port are two 250GB external Maxtor hard drives which are formatted using the NTFS file system. It's worth noting here that these two hard drives contain a relatively small number VERY large AVI data files which average 15 - 20 gb apiece and that one drive is essentially used as a static backup of the files stored on the other. In short, drive E is used to store backups of the files that were originally captured and stored on drive F in case of a calamity involving drive F. I say it is a static backup because there's no effort to maintain the drive dynamically (i.e. no ghost utility or anything like that). These AVI files rarely change. I only use them as my source to create videos.

Yesterday, while running a defrag on one of those two 250GB hard drives, my system suddenly shut down with an apparent temperature problem. It has had this problem for months but Compaq has been unable to fix it -- advising me instead that I "shouldn't use my computer so hard". (I kid you not!)

Anyway, I came back to the machine yesterday to find it had powered off and the defrag had suddenly been terminated. This morning, in an effort to see whether any damage had been done (write caching is disabled on both of these drives, so there should not have been any damage.) , I ran chkdsk/f on the drive that was being defragged when the failure occured and chkdsk found (and I very carefully wrote down) nineteen files which it claimed had bad clusters and of course it also claimed to have fixed those errors. But later, when I ran the chkdsk/f again on the same drive to verify that the errors had indeed been corrected, I found that chkdsk reported the exact same errors in the exact same list of 19 files that it had found and (supposedly) corrected the first time and of course, once again it claimed to have fixed the errors!

At this point, I got quite curious. So, I ran chkdsk/f again on the backup drive (i.e. the one that was NOT being defraged when the system shutdown occured) and low and behold, chkdsk reported the exact same errors on the same 19 files on THAT drive PLUS errors on four other Windows backup drive images (which also average over 20gb in size) that were also stored on that drive but were NOT on the first drive. In short, chkdsk found, reported and supposedly corrected the exact same errors on the a nearly identical set of files stored on two different hard drives.

As a result of this exercise, I strongly suspect I've encountered a BUG in chkdsk which causes it to report errors erroneously on very large data files stored on an NTFS file system. I've checked the Microsoft knowledge base on both chksk and the NTFS file system but naturally found no mention of such a problem.

Has anyone else encountered or reported what are apparently spurious errors like this from chkdsk?

Thanks!

T

Trent©

Has anyone else encountered or reported what are apparently spurious errors like this from chkdsk?

I've often found that chkdsk does not repair errors. In my case, its
usually when I've corrupted an Agent index file.

Chkdsk finds no errors...but I'm still not able to update headers,
etc. So then I know the problem has still not been solved (FAT32).

I simply boot into a 98 rescue disk and run scandisk...which scandisk
finds and repairs.

BTW...any time power is shut off during a defrag, you should expect
errors.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity!

R

Richard Urban

I have some videos, upward of 500 meg each, on one of my hard drives. When I
run chkdsk on this drive it comes back clean. The difference is that the
drive is an IDE drive. Could firewire have something to do with it?

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

Thomas Platt said:
For starters, I'm a technically-oriented IT pro with over 35 years working
in the computer industry. In addition, I have over 22 years working on PCs
running a variety of operating systems. So, I'm both thorough AND highly
experienced when it comes to analyzing and diagnosing hardware and software
problems.
I'm running XP Home Edition on a Compaq Presario Laptop model 1510.
Attached to this machine via the 1394 firewire port are two 250GB external
Maxtor hard drives which are formatted using the NTFS file system. It's
worth noting here that these two hard drives contain a relatively small
number VERY large AVI data files which average 15 - 20 gb apiece and that
one drive is essentially used as a static backup of the files stored on the
other. In short, drive E is used to store backups of the files that were
originally captured and stored on drive F in case of a calamity involving
drive F. I say it is a static backup because there's no effort to maintain
the drive dynamically (i.e. no ghost utility or anything like that). These
AVI files rarely change. I only use them as my source to create videos.
Yesterday, while running a defrag on one of those two 250GB hard drives,
my system suddenly shut down with an apparent temperature problem. It has
had this problem for months but Compaq has been unable to fix it -- advising
me instead that I "shouldn't use my computer so hard". (I kid you not!)
Anyway, I came back to the machine yesterday to find it had powered off
and the defrag had suddenly been terminated. This morning, in an effort to
see whether any damage had been done (write caching is disabled on both of
these drives, so there should not have been any damage.) , I ran chkdsk/f on
the drive that was being defragged when the failure occured and chkdsk found
(and I very carefully wrote down) nineteen files which it claimed had bad
clusters and of course it also claimed to have fixed those errors. But
later, when I ran the chkdsk/f again on the same drive to verify that the
errors had indeed been corrected, I found that chkdsk reported the exact
same errors in the exact same list of 19 files that it had found and
(supposedly) corrected the first time and of course, once again it claimed
to have fixed the errors!
At this point, I got quite curious. So, I ran chkdsk/f again on the backup
drive (i.e. the one that was NOT being defraged when the system shutdown
occured) and low and behold, chkdsk reported the exact same errors on the
same 19 files on THAT drive PLUS errors on four other Windows backup drive
images (which also average over 20gb in size) that were also stored on that
drive but were NOT on the first drive. In short, chkdsk found, reported and
supposedly corrected the exact same errors on the a nearly identical set of
files stored on two different hard drives.
As a result of this exercise, I strongly suspect I've encountered a BUG in
chkdsk which causes it to report errors erroneously on very large data files
stored on an NTFS file system. I've checked the Microsoft knowledge base on
both chksk and the NTFS file system but naturally found no mention of such a
problem.

F

Frenchy

What happens if you run CHKDSK /R

This does a much better job (and longer time) than the /F version

Frenchy

Thomas Platt said:
For starters, I'm a technically-oriented IT pro with over 35 years working in the computer
industry. In addition, I have over 22 years working on PCs running a variety of operating
systems. So, I'm both thorough AND highly experienced when it comes to analyzing and
diagnosing hardware and software problems.
I'm running XP Home Edition on a Compaq Presario Laptop model 1510. Attached to this
machine via the 1394 firewire port are two 250GB external Maxtor hard drives which are
formatted using the NTFS file system. It's worth noting here that these two hard drives
contain a relatively small number VERY large AVI data files which average 15 - 20 gb apiece
and that one drive is essentially used as a static backup of the files stored on the other.
In short, drive E is used to store backups of the files that were originally captured and
stored on drive F in case of a calamity involving drive F. I say it is a static backup
because there's no effort to maintain the drive dynamically (i.e. no ghost utility or
anything like that). These AVI files rarely change. I only use them as my source to create
videos.
Yesterday, while running a defrag on one of those two 250GB hard drives, my system
suddenly shut down with an apparent temperature problem. It has had this problem for months
but Compaq has been unable to fix it -- advising me instead that I "shouldn't use my
computer so hard". (I kid you not!)
Anyway, I came back to the machine yesterday to find it had powered off and the defrag had
suddenly been terminated. This morning, in an effort to see whether any damage had been done
(write caching is disabled on both of these drives, so there should not have been any
damage.) , I ran chkdsk/f on the drive that was being defragged when the failure occured and
chkdsk found (and I very carefully wrote down) nineteen files which it claimed had bad
clusters and of course it also claimed to have fixed those errors. But later, when I ran the
chkdsk/f again on the same drive to verify that the errors had indeed been corrected, I
found that chkdsk reported the exact same errors in the exact same list of 19 files that it
had found and (supposedly) corrected the first time and of course, once again it claimed to
have fixed the errors!
At this point, I got quite curious. So, I ran chkdsk/f again on the backup drive (i.e. the
one that was NOT being defraged when the system shutdown occured) and low and behold, chkdsk
reported the exact same errors on the same 19 files on THAT drive PLUS errors on four other
Windows backup drive images (which also average over 20gb in size) that were also stored on
that drive but were NOT on the first drive. In short, chkdsk found, reported and supposedly
corrected the exact same errors on the a nearly identical set of files stored on two
different hard drives.
As a result of this exercise, I strongly suspect I've encountered a BUG in chkdsk which
causes it to report errors erroneously on very large data files stored on an NTFS file
system. I've checked the Microsoft knowledge base on both chksk and the NTFS file system but
naturally found no mention of such a problem.

Ask a Question