APC PowerChute

I've used APC's PowerChute Personal with their batteries since Win95. Never
had any problems with un-attended shutdowns due to power outages, all worked
as advertised. Problem: PowerChute v2.1 for Vista, when a power outage
presents itself, the computer shuts down at the correct interval, followed by
the monitor and then the battery. Upon re-start, I get a "Resuming Windows"
followed by a black screen which just stays. After a shutdown with the power
button, on restart it goes to the boot screen with options for 'normal'
'safe' etc. On examining the Event Viewer, I see that PowerChute has tried
to hybernate the machine, and just after that the machine and PowerChute lose
contact. Hybernation/sleep/Hybrid I do believe are all shut off thru Control
Panel/Power Options. I run my computer at full power at all times due to a
dc+ server drive. I've been in touch with APC and the issue has not been
resolved. Anyone else having this restart problem? Is there a setting I may
have missed or any suggestions to help trouble shooting this event? My work
schedule keeps me away for a day or so at a time, and I live in an area of
fairly frequent power outages. Any help is appreciated.

mikeyhsd

I had problems with APC and Power Chute and Vista.

always got error messages that Power Chute was unable to stop Vista power service. and they regularly interfered with each other.

never got it worked out and changed brands.

unless you have MANY MANY hours of backup time you might just as well turn the computer off when expected to be gone for extended period. as it will eventually go off anyway for extended power outage.

(e-mail address removed)

[...]

Sylvain Lafontaine

Which brand did you use to replace APC on Vista?

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC

[...]

bought a Cyber Power unit.
software install no need for driver signing and so far no interference with vista power settings.

(e-mail address removed)

--

mikeyhsd said:
bought a Cyber Power unit.
software install no need for driver signing and so far no interference with vista power settings.

OK, so you switched to CyberPower, have you pulled the power plug to run a mock power outage to make sure it shuts down correctly and restarts?? Shutdown with the PowerChute seems fine, it's the restart that bothers me. All my PowerChute system tests pass, no errors.

[...]

better than that, had a legit power outage that did all that for me.
worked great.

(e-mail address removed)

Love those "Legit" power outages!! Thanks for the info, may just have to
look into a new UPS.

DanR

What advantages does the Power Chute or Cyber Power software have over the
built in Vista power options?

mikeyhsd

gives stats on the performance of the UPS.

(e-mail address removed)

What advantages does the Power Chute or Cyber Power software have over the
built in Vista power options?

During power outages, supposedly, safely shuts down Windows, which PowerChute
for Vista does NOT seem to be doing right at the moment.

DanR

Have you tried Vista's built-in power settings? I'm not necessarily
advocating this but the options under "advanced power settings" are many.
How do you get the computer to power back up after the power returns?

nweissma

I may be jumping the gun, but all my experiences with APC have been
positive ones. they have always been extremely helpful, responsive and
competent, and their ups has been working fine with me - as far as I can
tell! they had a vista compatible (power chute) driver ready on a tight
schedule.

I'm finding it difficult to believe that they just left you without a
resolution; when i first started, they came back to me (via email)within
hours.

--Fool On The Hill

Sylvain Lafontaine

I don't have at this moment a physical system with Vista on it so I cannot
tell you for sure but to my knowledge, the Vista's built-in power settings
has nothing to do with the control of an external UPS (Uninterruptible Power
System) nor can it receive information from it when there is power outage.

UPS have a battery that enable your system to keep running for some time
when there is power outage. If the power outage persists, the software
associated with the UPS can automatically shutdown the system when there is
only a few minutes remaining of power left in the battery. (The actual
number depends on your system but typically, a 1200 VA UPS should be able to
keep a standard PC running from 10 to 20 or even 30 minutes.)