APC Back-UPS Pro 900

Review APC Back-UPS Pro 900

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new article:

APC Back-UPS Pro 900 - A budget-friendly Uninterruptible Power Supply for your PC.

If you run any form of server in your household or small business, it’s good practice to have some form of uninterruptable power supply (UPS) connected so that you can perform a graceful shutdown if the power supply fails. Without this, there’s a possibility of data loss and corruption. On a home desktop PC, it’s unlikely that many people would feel the need for UPS – after all, even with a one-off sudden power outage, there’s only a small chance of a problem occurring....

Read more about this article...

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I have one of these at the shop holding up my shotty little file server. It dinna stop a zap to the PS. Crashed my OS drive, new PS later. Now a restore from backup. I'm not sure what came through the line to cause it. I have no idea what the kick-in response time is supposed to be. The flash that took my server down was brief. I heard a beep from the box but this was after the blink. In a complete failure, however, it did allow me to shut the machine down on a previous power disconnect by the electric company for local services in the area. I guess I have to play the rule of averages before I praise or condemn the device.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Damn, that's a pain! I lost loads of electrical things when we were hit by lightning - even things connected via HDMI, network, phone cables etc. Thankfully, things connected to our older UPS model were saved (to an extent anyway, as some of those items still had blown network ports)).

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I was involved in a yacht shore power surge. They did not have the proper ground isolation system set up. When the surge hit, it back fed through all of the equipment grounds, zapping sat boxes, navigation electronics and turning a couple thousand feet of coax into straws.

Ask a Question