ANZAC Day

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Australia New Zealand Army Corps

Tomorrow, down here we celebrate & comemorate the lives of all those who have died in battle fighting for our homeland & for 'mother England' through two world wars & until today.

Tomorrow, like much of the country, I will be flying the NZ flag & the Union Jack at half mast.

Like most people I'm not a big fan of wars.
Nor of current world government politico/military policy.

But when one person is prepared to die
so that my children don't have to.
Well, you gotta respect that.

mucks... if you could make this a sticky for tomorrow I'd appreciate it, thank you :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
cirianz said:
But when one person is prepared to die
so that my children don't have to.
Well, you gotta respect that.

Well said, and thread stuck :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

:) :thumb: :)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
When I was a very young child we would make poppies in school to wear on this day although they started getting them made comercially long before I left school.
Red poppies, for the blood spilt. A specific reference to gallipoli & flanders field but a much bigger symbol than that of course.
As a child we would go to the dawn parade to celebrate ANZAC day, but it is a long time since I went to that now. As an adult I'm afraid ANZAC day has mostly been a nice holiday & passing tribute. But as I have watched my own children grow.
& also have felt the gut fear when someone you love goes off, possibly into a war zone, & you know that there is the chance that they won't come back.

Whatever I think of current military policy.

Every soldier that leaves goes into that same uncertainty. & every family left behind has felt that fear. & the only reason that I do not have to do that same thing is because someone else has done it for me. For nearly a century now.
complacency is easy most days,
but today at least,
I will give that the repect it is due.

Lest we forget.

Reaction score
25th April is ANZAC DAY

ANZAC was the name given to the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps soldiers who landed on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey early on the morning of 25 April 1915 during the First World War (1914-1918).

As a result, one day in the year has involved the whole of Australia in solemn ceremonies of remembrance, gratitude and national pride for all our men and women who have fought and died in all wars. That day is ANZAC Day - 25 April. Every nation must, sooner or later, come for the first time to a supreme test of quality; and the result of that test will hearten or dishearten those who come afterwards. For the fledgling nation of Australia that first supreme test was at Gallipoli.

For more info go to www.anzacday.org.au

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Some New Zealand ANZAC sites for anyone who is interested

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/war/anzacday-theanzacs

http://www.anzac.govt.nz/

The first site is the best, it includes excerpts fom diaries etc. The second site is the govt site & so is neat & polished but has little information, but it does post, along with ANZAC fatalities it also posts British, french & turkish fatalities for the Gallipoli campaign.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them"

ANZAC day has drawn to a close.
Thank you to all of you who observed it with me.
And to all of our soldiers, past & present
Who, regardless of the whims of politics,
Are still laying their lives of the line
to keep us safe.
Thank you all.

:)

Ask a Question