Anyone here do Gliding?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been in e-mail conversations with a former USAF pilot and he commented on how fun gliding was, and how much cheaper than fliying it is... I had a look into it and its about £4-5 per launch and then 27p per minute, a bargain compared to going up in a light aircraft for an hour (£100-150ish).

Does anyone here go gliding? I'd love to get some opinions from anyone currently doing it :D It looks like great fun!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yup, winch launched! I can just imagine a £15 fuel surcharge everytime the thing lands ;)

Reaction score
I did some gliding in derbyshire a few years back. Winch-launched. I nearly got killed when I'd just landed and the cable and hook attachment just released from another glider was about to land on my cockpit with me still trapped inside. Luckily the winch operator saw the problem in time and zapped the cable back in at high speed about 50ft above me. Buggered up the cable, but I lived to tell the tale. A year or so later one of the instructors at the club had a heart attack at the joystick and he and his trainee died in the crash.

You fly gliders made of ply wood, with one wheel, a skid, no brakes and no parachute...fun and cheap but some of the trainers are apt to showing off. One of the best things was racing the tractors (used to tow the gliders) around the airfield.

You have been warned. (But I wouldn't have missed it for the world;))

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you are recommending gliding or not from that post ;)

Is it something that takes a long time to get the hang of, or is it pretty easy?

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I'm not sure if you are recommending gliding or not from that post ;)

Is it something that takes a long time to get the hang of, or is it pretty easy?

:) It was something i'd always wanted to do and i really enjoyed it, but there were some who decided they hated it and left early. I suppose that's why I'm not 'recommending' it, but at the same time i don't think it would be time wasted. It's one of the experience things that unless you try it you'll never know what you missed, but if you do try it you might decide it's not what you expected.

As an example, take off is real good fun, and very exhilirating. landing can be nerve-racking, but great when you've completed it safely. The bit in the middle - flying - can be great on a good day with plenty of thermals to allow you to gain height and stay airborne longer, or it can be frustratingly quick. Some days you can't fly at all because the weather just won't let you.

One thing worth remembering is that perception of speed is all based on how close you are to a stationary object. The higher you go,the slower everything gets and it can seem a bit dull. If another glider suddenly passes you though, you'll get a sense of real speed and it can be very exciting.

It's well worth having a go at, but to do it as a longer-terrm hobby, you really need to get into a syndicate of say 4 people who can drop everything to go gliding with you, can afford to share the cost of your own glider and afford the very high insurance costs etc.

Why four people? One on each wing to stabilise at take off, another to signal to the winch operator and one to fly of course.

Winch-launched gliding involves retrieving the glider (towing it back from its landing point using a tractor) waiting your turn behind other gliders, and also helping drag the winch cables back to the launch point. Expect early mornings to service the tractors and lots of waiting around for good weather conditions too.

Is it easy? Yup, if you can drive a car then learning to glide is technically as simple. Learning how to read the land and detect thermals etc, is more involved. When i did it, there was an American jet fighter pilot who had thousands of flying hours but had never glided - I've never seen someone as excited as he was when he solo'd and phoned his wife. I asked him how come he was so giddy when he was an experienced pilot and he said that many pilots reckon gliding (unpowered flight with minimal safety etc, and relying on senses and knowledge of the land to stay airborne) was the closest he would ever come to being a bird. Yanks eh...don't you just love 'em?

:thumb:

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Like you say, I suppose its worth a go :) Our university has a club (or did last year at least), so I might join though that and then see how it goes.

I'd like to get my PPL one day but I don't think I'm going to be able to do that for another 10 years, but gliding is so much cheaper so it has its advantages :) I like the sound of how people have to pull together to get things working, but I bet that must get quite tiring after a while when you just want to fly.

Reaction score
Gliding's certainly cheaper than powered aircraft, but i can still be expensive - that's why people form syndicates. The other thing is that once you have gone solo you have to maintain a certain minimum number of flight hours to keep your licence, so there's quite a commitment in the longer term.. If you can't afford your own plane, you'll constantly have to pay a premium to hire one.

If you haven't already tried MS Flight Sim (and I'd be very surprised if you haven't) then i'd suggest you try that first. Do they have a glider sim?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yup, I've got MS Flight Sim, but stupidly my joystick is 15-pin Game Port type, where as my Audigy 2 doesn't have a port on it (nether does the mobo). I think I have a crappy old soundcard somewhere so I'll stick that in my PC to get access, thanks for reminding me ;)

Reaction score
I reckon i've got a gameport i/o backplate connector from one of my old Asus mobos somewhere if it's any use to you. Or go get urself a USB joystick like the new Saitek flight stick. MS Flight Sim is used as a training simulator in the real world as well as being a game ya know! :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers 1nt, but I dont think I've even got a header connection on my mobo! I've got an old MS Force Feedback joystick, so its good but probably only worth a fiver now!

Ask a Question