Anyone ever get the F*ck[1] virus?

David H. Lipman

:)

Dave

| Uhh!! I'm shocked beyond words! YOU!! Why...surely you would not settle
| for such poorly graphically enhanced eye candy as offered by such places???
| ;o))
|
| Jan :)

David H. Lipman

Harry:

The time is budgeted so it is not wasted :)

Dave

| "Shame" on you, Dave.
| I thought you had better things to do than wasting your precious time
| like this???
| Myself, I'm claiming 'the fifth'
|
| Harry, old and ready for lunch..

David H. Lipman

Scorpio Figgs !

Dave

| Hmmm.....you sound like an accountant. Or a Virgo, grin.
|
| Figgs

Dr.X

How is Kapersky AV? Btw, I was checking my task manager and saw a file
called winampa.exe running. Now some sites say that this coud be the
MSBlast virus and others say it's just the latest Winamp agent. It's
actually in my Winamp directory.

Kapersky is good. You have NAV, any time you want verification, just
about any other AV should do. I prefer AVG. I've used Kapersky in the past
and liked it as well. There's also ClamWin. It's pretty cool.

As for winampa.exe, I haven't used WinAmp in ages. I don't remember the
agent running. Maybe I'll get it later today and try it.
Anyway, the fix is Symantec's fixblast.exe. For the heck of it I tried
to run fixblast.exe, but everytime I did in regular or safe mode, it
stopped and said "Fixblast.exe generated errors". The log file was
empty.

Ouch. That sux.
Do you have symptoms of the blaster? Why did you get fixblast? What
makes you think your infected with it? You started off this thread with a
temp file that NAV may or may not have deleted. If my memory isn't playing
tricks on me, the msblast was not propagated via web pages.
Once again, NAV didn't pick up any viruses, and I think winampa.exe is
the Winamp agent, but it's perplexing as to why Fixblast.exe wouldn't run
on my Windows 2000 os.

Yes it is, but may not be relevant to your "infection" problem (if
indeed you are infected).
I'm beginning to think that one needs to do a scan using numerous AV
programs by different vendors every so often. I use about 3 different
Spyware detection programs and they all find different stuff. Pest
Patrol was the best, but my subscription ran out.

If you decide to use multiple AV programs, disable on access scan for
all except one. Otherwise you're gonna have one slow system.
One thing I'll never understand. When these Spyware blocking programs dl
the new upgrade files, sometimes they're smaller than the previous
definition listing, indicating that they're elimination their detection
of certain items.

I haven't noticed that. If they are smaller, it could just be adding to
the definition files already on your system. In that case, the file is
getting bigger but the download could be smaller. I wouldn't read too much
into it.

-Dr.X

wtf

Subject: Re: Anyone ever get the F*ck[1] virus?
From: "Dr.X" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus

Anyway, the fix is Symantec's fixblast.exe. For the heck of it I
tried to run fixblast.exe, but everytime I did in regular or safe
mode, it stopped and said "Fixblast.exe generated errors". The log
file was empty.

Ouch. That sux.
Do you have symptoms of the blaster? Why did you get fixblast?
What

One thread I read said that winampa.exe could be a symptom of the
msblast.exe virus, so I decided to check it out.

If you decide to use multiple AV programs, disable on access scan
for
all except one. Otherwise you're gonna have one slow system.

How on earth do you just shutdown NAV 2005 in Windows 2000? I've tried
Task Manager, and Enditall, and neither program can shutdown NAV. NAV,
like Norton Systemworks and Utilities takes over your machine. They have
so many engines running, that one is protecting the other from being
shutdown. The only option is to temporarily disable the autoprotect
feature, or run something like Kapersky in safe mode.
I haven't noticed that. If they are smaller, it could just be
adding to
the definition files already on your system. In that case, the file is
getting bigger but the download could be smaller. I wouldn't read too
much into it.

Check your Ad-aware definitions directory. Only one def file is loaded,
but the size of all of them fluctuates. I think all these Spyware
Protection programs work on a statistical basis as to what the biggest
problems are at a given point in time. For example, if Gator Software
hasn't been infecting machines for a few months, they'll remove the check
for Gators from the def file,