any volunteers?

BobA5835

I agree and it's got to have "Using MSAS send a spyware
report to MS about the item(s): A) Open up AntiSpyware,
B) Click Tools at the top, C) Click "Submit a Suspected
Spyware Report" or it will never get approval from those
MS folks...:)

Also needs The Browser Hijack Restore feature info.

Bob

Bill Sanderson

Well--this group is in some ways ours--I doubt that Microsoft would comment
on a FAQ posting. I do suspect that there is good reasoning behind some of
their suggested wordings and solutions, though, so I tend to follow them : )

--
FAQ for Microsoft Antispyware:

BobA5835 said:
I agree and it's got to have "Using MSAS send a spyware
report to MS about the item(s): A) Open up AntiSpyware,
B) Click Tools at the top, C) Click "Submit a Suspected
Spyware Report" or it will never get approval from those
MS folks...:)

Also needs The Browser Hijack Restore feature info.

Bob

D@annyBoy {4XX961}

do you know the number of posts that have no relation to MSAS? I would estimate
them at 30-40% of total posts.

appears many are thinking that MSAS will solve their computer problems.

IMO, MSAS is an application that protects a yet-to-be-affected-by-spyware and
protects the system against known spyware. But what do the newbies testers
expect. A multi purpose anti spyware with built in antivirus and cookies
management. MSAS is pretty unstable at the moment.

Feedback? I'm sure that MS read this ngs. If I am one of the developers of
MSAS, my reaction to many posts would be;

$hit, we are trying to iron out the bugs and these newbies asking us for new
features
No way we are going to do it until MSAS works prefectly for 90% of the users

Andre Da Costa wrote in
news:[email protected]

D@annyBoy {4XX961}

you want to volunteer to write the FAQ?

simple scan the posts for common errors and keep track of the solutions

JohnF. wrote in

D@annyBoy {4XX961}

Beta testing is not for newbies newbies.
I do agree with your comments.
Here many are trying their best to submit bugs and hoping that the developers
can iron them out as soon as possible.

if MSAS does screws up one's system, he/she will curse MS, but not the
experience testers.
Many common bugs have been identified and I am sure that the next version will
be free from beta 1 bugs but may introduce new bugs.

Beta testers should learn to be patient, especially newbies. Lurk around for 2
days and you should be able to find solutions to common bugs

Gunilla wrote in

D@annyBoy {4XX961}

this response is for Bill, (I think)
sorry, by accident, you were put on my block sender list :)
and I was wondering why I couldn't see your posts.

charlievan wrote in news:[email protected]

D@annyBoy {4XX961}

I, too, was a newbie but at least I learn (after being reprimanded by one of the
MVPs while testing Office XP) to lurk in the beta newsgroups before making any
posts. Experience testers want to make the software work, newbies just whine.

IMO, there are no strict rules on what to include when posting problems, but at
least include what happened before the problem pop up. The reason is so that
the developers of MSAS and helpful people can try and reproduce the same outcome
and then file or post a bug to MS. I do not know what is the failure rate, but
if more than half can reproduce the same outcome, I suppose someone has to read
and rewrite the code.

posting "cannot connect to the Internet" is pretty useless.

Start
Helpful post could be;
Boot up my computer.
Antivirus, firewall, MSAS, blah blah blah running in the background
cannot connect to the Internet

stop firewall from starting up, but AV and MSAS running when system boot
still unable to connect to the Internet
(Firewall not at fault)

stop antivirus from starting up, but firewall and MSAS running
aha, can connect to the Internet
(AV at fault)
check the settings of AV and reconfigure

Boot up my computer.
Antivirus, firewall, MSAS, blah blah blah running in the background
can connect to the Internet
End

But many posters don't basic details.

another fine example;
"I am using the latest version of MSN and my audio/video is giving me problems.
Please help."

and my ususal response would be
"post details of OS, hardware,blah blah blah)

Translated, it means, if running WinXP, which version, CPU and RAM, Video
adapter, brand, drivers version, webcam, brand and driver versions.

(As a volunteer, I am under no obligation to check for posts to my responses
since I am doing it for free)

and if the original poster makes another response, I might have missed the post
and hence may not be able to post a solution.

If the poster would have included the basic details in the original post, then
I'm sure any reponses would surely offer a possible solution.

charlievan wrote in news:[email protected]

Ron Chamberlin

Hi Bob,
"Little to none" sounds like me. :)

On the flip side, I'm glad I'm right once in a while.

Ron Chamberlin
MS-MVP

Gunilla

It's not that I not agree with you about having a FAQ or that the same
questions has to be answered several times each day. No, it is rather your
wordings about newbie's, your sometimes ignorant posts in reply to those who
seek help. Nah, even if they find the answer and tell us about it you are
still throwing in a nasty comment. Take a look for instance of what you
wrote here below...

is this what you wrote something to prefer? Is that how we should answer,
how we should act when as volunteering to help? I have not seen so many, but
yet there are some of them out there in the NG's, that have acted like you
do sometimes and it is certainly not something to prefer. I dislike that
behavior and think that if someone have problem trying to be professional
that that someone should not volunteering. Remember that MS has not forced
you being one of the volunteers.

As for giving you some credit...it is a good thing you are trying to fulfill
with the FAQ and hopefully people coming here seeking for answers have
noticed this discussion in that manner that they understand to provide more
info so it will be easier helping them.

As for the cursing of MS...I dislike that too and are one of many who is
defending MS because I know what they do, not just when it comes to
operating system.

Best regards,

Gunilla.
D@annyBoy {4XX961} said:
Beta testing is not for newbies newbies.
I do agree with your comments.
Here many are trying their best to submit bugs and hoping that the
developers can iron them out as soon as possible.

if MSAS does screws up one's system, he/she will curse MS, but not the
experience testers.
Many common bugs have been identified and I am sure that the next version
will be free from beta 1 bugs but may introduce new bugs.

Beta testers should learn to be patient, especially newbies. Lurk around
for 2 days and you should be able to find solutions to common bugs

Gunilla wrote in

<SNIPPED>

D@annyBoy {4XX961}

the point is this

because MS is giving MSAS for free, and getting freeback from the public doesn't
means that MS is an angel

the developers are trying their best to send MSAS to RTM
and what do we have here?

a bunch of kids, without the basic knowledge of what is spyware and how to
prevent them, posting non related material to MSAS

sure, I can ignore newbies' post, but is that going to make MSAS any better?

By posting something relevent to the subject, it saves the time of those trying
to make MSAS work

I still stand by this

newbies, stay away from beta testing, that is, if you don't understand why is
beta testing
if MSAS breaks your system, you can only blame yourselves for not taking the
precaution of
backing up your system and having the ability to restore your system, (problem
free) within a short period of time

And yes, MS needs the feedback, but feedback with full details, so that MSAS can
be delivered to consumers to help prevent spyware from invading your systems

Gunilla

The point I am getting at is the language you are using regarding those
"newbies" as you say and has nothing to do whether they are providing useful
info or not. And now you also say they are "kids"! With what right may I ask
are you calling them a bunch of kids? They can be all from in their early
age before 13 to 80, or even 90. I have seen your posts too D@nnyBoy in
other NG's and I know, as you know too that we have all been newbies and
have had to learn so try to remember that when answering.

But I can see how you have improved to be better in giving answer and that
is good. Now, actually, it is a pleasure to read your answers and I do wish
you continue being as nice as you seems to have turned out to be. And the
FAQ is under development, it seems to be better and better. Thanks! :))

I totally agree with you that the info about operating system, what they did
exactly and etc. is very important and I also agree that as a Beta tester
you got to understand that things can go wrong and not blaming MS 'cause
they are giving info on that very same download page.

Regards,

Gunilla.

D@annyBoy {Beta ID 4XX961}

My definition of a bunch of kids - people regardless of any age, hanging around
ngs with less than 3 years of experience and refuse to accept facts when
presented.

Posters who response with possible solutions are volunteers who do it for free
during free time. They are not connected in any way to MS, except for some who
identify themselves. Volunteers are under no obligation to response to any
posting.

Bill (not BG) knows that I don't follow threads. :)
Users have a problem? OK, post with full details and many including myself will
try to provide a possible solution.
eh.....................
no time to dilly dally especially when it is a common error or known bug.
OK, if it's a new problem experienced by most posters, most probably a solution
/ fix should be possible with a month, but if it's an old problem/known bug,
posters should try and read the faqs before posting.

I am on broadband and I don't give a d@mn about connection costs anyone.
Previously on dialups, had to remind posters very often (in others ngs that I
hang around) to make their questions short and sharp.

We, (Yes, it means you as well) should be more concerned about getting the bugs
out so that MSAS can be a supplementary tool to prevent spyware rather than to
discuss something which is not relevent to MSAS.

Gunilla wrote in

D@annyBoy {Beta ID 4XX961}

forgot to mention just one small point
Do you know the difference between a public and private news servers? :)

Gunilla wrote in

Gunilla

Okay D@nnyBoy I started to write you a reply but changed my mind as it is
no use arguing. One thing though...off course I know the differences between
public and private newsgroups but can't see what it has to do with all this
but it doesn't really matter, for me at least. Now it is better to continue
doing the MSAS as good as it possibly can by being a support for those
"newbies"!

Gunilla