any volunteers?

D@annyBoy {4XX961}

please write a short FAQ on MSAS and post it to every newsgroups, every other 2
days.

possible heading could be "Read this FAQ" before posting and this would be the
first I wouldn't mind if anyone post it with a future date.

points could include

1. what OS works.
2. cost
3. common errors and possible solutions
4. blah blah blah

Someone please !!!

JohnF.

Someone tried that way back in January but the problem is the hideodorous
web interface - people only read the first page of posts, only IE can
effectively let you expand threads conveniently, and the search function
apparently doesn't work which makes these ng's much less effective than they
could be - the same dozen questions and problems get posted over and over
and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
[...]

You get the point -

BobA5835

Hi there:

I asked about the possibility of simply adding another
Selection Section to this MS NG such as "Read This First"
ages ago and got the answer "Little to none" from Steve D
or Ron C...Of course I can't remember exactly which one
it was now as the "Search" function has been down for
months now....Apparently "weeks" in Redmond are different
than the rest of the world!

What I'm starting to wonder about is this entire process
of this particular Beta product. Is MS ramping up for
the final release of the products, people wise? The
Enterprise product will have a cost to it for the
business section. Why aren't we starting to see answers
coming from the MSAS techs who will be covering the Tech
Support for the final products?

What other commerical product uses strickly volunteers
for tech support? Not that some of these volunteers
couldn't handle it, but from the sheer volume,
responsibilty and liability that come into the pic with a
commerical product.

BobA5835

D@annyBoy {4XX961}

OK
no more nice guy
anyone asking a frequently asked question will get a nasty reply

( aren't we frustrated with the newbies????????????????????????????????????????)

D@annyBoy {4XX961}

I think it's time to get nasty to get rid of the newbies
curiousity kills the cat

It's indeed very frustrating to see the newbies testing MSAS because they don't
know what's in for them
and when their system breaks, they blame MS

I am no expert, but I love beta testing and I know the precautions that I have
to take

BobA5835 wrote in news:[email protected]

JohnF.

I don't want to run people off, but I sure do wish there was a more obvious
way for newbies to find their answers quickly and effectively - they need
help like anyone else does and the inability to provide a forum where the
answers rise to the top and can be picked like ripe fruit is limiting what
can be accomplished in these ng's.

Looking for an original new problem is getting to be like skimming through
spam to find your real email messages!

Andre Da Costa

Yeah, I don't think its wise to chase away people when you need the
feedback.

plun

Andre said:
Yeah, I don't think its wise to chase away people when you need the
feedback.

I can´t understand how MS can maintain this form of support
forum.

This great software company must be able to do a smart mix
between a modern
board forum with the old fashioned newsgroup way with threads.

- Pinned messages, "FAQ" and "What to do before posting".

- Search function but I think this can be off on purpose... ?!

And of course we cant chase away these users, it is not
their fault.

MS come on ! this is a disgrace !

Gunilla

Sorry D@nnyBoy but I must tell what I think about you and your, sometimes,
very unfriendly answers.
I have been reading some of your posts/answers and must say that this
"newbie" talking you are doing is not so very kind and friendly.

I can agree with you that it would be nice and useful having a FAQ and etc.
that people who are new into posting to NG's could read, or at least should
read even if they do not, but your talking is definitely not something that
makes me even recognizing you as a knowledgeable, educated, nice and mature
person. All I see is someone who tries to be as "someone who knows and can".
Take a look back and see some of the answers you have provided...are you
proud over your knowledge? Sorry for my words.
I can say that I can't so much but at least I am not pretending to know
either.

Best,

Gunilla.

Gunilla

Sorry...it should had been - "Are you proud over your answers" and not
knowledge.

Gunilla

Andre Da Costa

Ok, now lets all get along and make sure the MSAS Team makes MS AntiSpyware
a high quality product.

JohnF.

What? Get along? Now how are we supposed to have any fun that way?

You professional!

Oh, alright... but just this week. ; )

Bill Sanderson

D@annyBoy The newbies are precisely why this was released as a public beta.
They don't know about HijackThis, they don't know how to boot in safe
mode--they just want a one button CLEAN ME solution to take care of the hot
water they've gotten themselves into. And pretty easily--ever look down the
lists of what SpywareBlaster or IE-SPYAD innoculate against--most of those
URL's are plainly not nice, but a good many of them are quite innocent
looking, too.

If you don't want to deal with newbies, sit back and let somebody else take
care of it.

charlievan

Well hell dannyboy you got the inside skinny why dont you
start it out and someone could follow up ( hell I feel for
ya but we all were ignorant and not able to read at one
time LOL
charlie

charlievan

Just to not take sides here let me see if I can fiqure out
what is being said here
1st Dannyboy is not saying he doesnt want to help ( and I
feel for his frustration because looking for current
problems is a pain in the ass) he just wishes this forum
worked a little better IE a section for newbies only where
thier was just a fact page no posts where newbies could
scroll thru and find the common problems.

2. Bob is only saying he asked for this type of section or
fact page months ago and was ignored, he wants the forum
fixed so it works more efficiently thats all no one is
trying to be nasty to anyone we just want things run a
little better.
I think that puts it in a nut sack, dont you.
Charlie

Bill Sanderson

I understand the frustration levels.

Whether there is anything that can be done on a technological issue to help
with this has been discussed forever.

In fact, I am hoping that before this beta is finished, we may be able to
use the newer web interface which is vastly improved. It still doesn't have
some of the facilities that have been asked for--but it allows for much more
effective communication with those who come in via the web--which is a large
proportion of the users here.

I've been in other forums where there was a daily or weekly post giving the
quick FAQ, as suggested here. I don't think this is a bad idea, but I'm not
ready to take it on myself. I'd be happy for anyone else to volunteer to do
it--and I'd be willing to help suggest wordings, etc.

If we do make such a post, I'd suggest that both .announcements and .general
would probably be the right places to do it.

BobA5835

Yo there:

I believe Charlie hit the nail on the head.

Okay, put me on the list for wishing to help.

I believe D@nnyBoy and JohnF have given some great ideas
on where to start:

"Read this FAQ Before Posting"

points could include

1. what OS works (with MSAS).
2. cost
3. common errors and possible solutions
4. Solutions for the "the same dozen questions and
problems"

BobA5835

Bill Sanderson

I'd vote for putting the firewall fix in there.

I'd also vote for keeping it short--no more than 10 items, and reasonbly
neatly formatted and easy to read.