Any logging available for RIS?

J.R.

I am trying to track down what other files might be
causing a "File not found error" after remote machines
connect to DHCP server.

We are experiencing the following symptoms, which are
discussed in Microsoft KB article 222177.
That article says to replace three files (ntldr,
Startrom.com & Startrom.n12)
and the problem should go away, but it doesn't.

I have also tried re-installing RIS to no avail.

When a PXE machine boots it connects to the server (Win2K,
same server for both RIS and DHCP)
and reports IP, DHCP and Gateway Addresses... then it
reports:

PXE-T01: File not found
PXE-E3B: TFTP Error - File not Found

I have tried the PXE boot from a couple of different
machines on the network with the same results, so it does
not appear to be workstation-related.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can I
somehow track the progress of RIS connect attempts?

J.R.

Well, I got debug logging enabled just fine... (DHCP info
all checks out btw... IP, gateway, etc. all look good)

But this is all I get on the log file when a client tries
to connect and gets the file not found errors (detailed in
original post, below)

[BinlServer] 11/14 17:51:09 [OPTIONS] Recognizing client.
[BinlServer] 11/14 17:51:09 [MISC] Client Guid: {4c4c4544-
004a-4310-8048-b6c04f383131}
[BinlServer] 11/14 17:51:09 [OPTIONS] Recognizing client.
[BinlServer] 11/14 17:51:09 [STOC] Sending response to =
192.168.1.53, XID = 7a67d877.

No info on what files it is trying to copy through TFTP
I have done some cursory searching for info on logging
TFTP events but have found nothing

any ideas anyone?

Scott McArthur [MSFT]

J.R.

One possible item to look at. Make sure you are not specifying options 66
and 67 in your dhcp scope configuration. This can cause problems. A
network trace is the best bet. Look at the DHCP discover, Offer, Request,
Ack process

Scott McArthur[MS]
Microsoft Windows Server Setup Support