Antivirus program won't let me disable automatic service

J

jbclem

Antivirus programs usually set up services(such as updating) so that they start up when Win2000 starts up and run
automatically. I always stop these from running and switch them from automatic to manual. Today I updated my Avast
antivirus, and it's found a way to prevent me from changing or disabling two services that it wants at startup. In
other words, it's taken control of my computer away from me. Before I uninstall this arrogant program, can someone help
me figure out how to undo this.

What happens is that when I go into the Microsoft Management Console, and look in the Properties for either of these
services, I can change the "startup type" from automatic to manual. But when I click on Apply, or OK, a box comes up
that says "Microsoft Management Console" and "Access is Denied". I can only click on Cancel to close the Properties box
without making any changes.

Any suggestions?

John

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

jbclem said:
Antivirus programs usually set up services(such as updating) so that they
start up when Win2000 starts up and run
automatically. I always stop these from running and switch them from
automatic to manual. Today I updated my Avast
antivirus, and it's found a way to prevent me from changing or disabling
two services that it wants at startup. In
other words, it's taken control of my computer away from me. Before I
uninstall this arrogant program, can someone help
me figure out how to undo this.

What happens is that when I go into the Microsoft Management Console, and
look in the Properties for either of these
services, I can change the "startup type" from automatic to manual. But
when I click on Apply, or OK, a box comes up
that says "Microsoft Management Console" and "Access is Denied". I can
only click on Cancel to close the Properties box
without making any changes.

Any suggestions?

John

Services (and their startup types) are defined here:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services.
You might find that the Avast service has restrictive
permissions. Use regedt32.exe to modify them.
Alternatively, check the Avast FAQs.

J

John John (MVP)

Did you look in the program's options? From within the program you
should be able to configure things to your preferences.

John

J

jbclem

Just the kind of information I was looking for, I'd forgotten how permissions were modified. But I've looked at the
registry section you mentioned, and when I check under Security/Permissions for various Avast keys, the word Permissions
is grayed out. I seem to recall there is a way to change this but I don't remember how. Can you help me with this.

John

J

jbclem

Looked both in the Options and in the help files, but no mention that I could find. This looks like a deliberate change
from the previous version, where I could change the services designation without a problem.

John

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

I won't have access to a Win2000 PC until much later but if
I recall correctly then you may need to seize ownership of
protected keys before you can modify their security settings.

J

jbclem

I'm not sure what you mean by "seize ownership", but I checked and under one of the keys in question, I was listed on
the Owner list, but not under Permissions. I tried to add myself with "full control" permissions, checking all the
"allow" permissions, but when I tried to click on Apply or OK, a window came up that said "unable to save permission
changes on Avast Antivirus. Access is denied." I'm not allowed to change anything under this key. I can't exit this
window unless I hit ESC or undo all the changes I made.

If there's no solution I'm just going to uninstall this POS program and reinstall the earlier version.

John

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Under the "Advanced" menu you can set the owner of a key,
same as you can set the owner of a folder.

Reaction score
hello there what it is when i try and go into a application then a box pops up and and gives me a choice of programs to start can anyone help me and tell how i can fix this please :cry:

Ask a Question