Anti-Spyware deleted Kazaa and all my files

Chowder

Not fully reading through any and all information, or
doing a search prior to using the program for problems, I
ran a full system scan. Kazaa came back as a possible
threat. Well I don't use the program anymore, and its
since been giving me problems anyway, so why not. I mark
it for deletion. As its going through its process, I see
it deleting everything, not just the program. I lost
everything.
Question is, how can I get it back? I personally find it
a bit ubsurd that the newsgroups are the only form of
support, as I called the support phone number as was
brushed off. Microsoft releases a product without fully
testing or warning people about it, then won't support
it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Some have recovered their data.
Open MSAS
Tools/Advanced Tools/Browser Hijack Settings Restore
Or
Tools/Spyware Scan/Manage Spyware Quarantine.
It has been reported it may take several hours if successful.
If those fail, restore from back-ups may be necessary.

This product has not actually been released yet.
It is still in Beta which is a phase of testing a product before release.
Since it is Beta, there is no formal support from Microsoft.
Newsgroups such as these are normally the only means of support for
unreleased products.
Your problem has been reported often here and seems to only delete the
default Kazaa files.
If data is moved to another file, it is safe.
Myself and many others wish Microsoft would make this more clear from the
website.

Bill Sanderson

If you chose to remove, rather than quarantine, which I believe is the
default choice for a peer-to-peer "threat"--I haven't seen significant
success in recovering files--the kind of app I'd try would be those
utilities for recovering files from damaged drives, etc. These cost $, but
usually have a demo mode that will give you a clear idea of the likelyhood
of success before you spend the $. Do this ASAP--the more disk activity
after file deletions, the less chance of success in recovery. As I
mentioned, others have had little success, even using such tools.

This issue is mentioned in the known issues--these are linked to from the
newly redesigned download page:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

as

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/releasenotes.mspx

Fourth bullet point under "Other."

These same release notes are included as such in the help file in the
product.

I'm not trying to say that you should have read all this stuff and made
sense of it, nor am I saying that Microsoft has done everything that it
could have to bring this issue to the fore--but they have made incremental
changes to the product to improve it in areas related to what you've
experienced with each refresh build.

I know that doesn't help you any, though.

Jim Macklin

It is beta software, it is so labeled and the warnings are
posted.

Try data recovery software (Google for it.)

some support

message | Not fully reading through any and all information, or
| doing a search prior to using the program for problems, I
| ran a full system scan. Kazaa came back as a possible
| threat. Well I don't use the program anymore, and its
| since been giving me problems anyway, so why not. I mark
| it for deletion. As its going through its process, I see
| it deleting everything, not just the program. I lost
| everything.
| Question is, how can I get it back? I personally find it
| a bit ubsurd that the newsgroups are the only form of
| support, as I called the support phone number as was
| brushed off. Microsoft releases a product without fully
| testing or warning people about it, then won't support
| it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I feel for you. The same identical scenario happened to me
a week ago. All media files stored in my "shared folder"
in Kazaa (program no longer on my PC) vanished in a split
of a second. I have tried multiples approaches to find or
recover the deleted files but to no avail. I even tried 4
different UNDELETE software -- no can do.

I agree that Microsoft should alert users to move all
media files from Kazaa or other to a different directory
before running the scan. There is no indication of such
warning and I concur that a support should be available.

If you can recommend anything else, I will be happy to
hear from you.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Support of a kind is available.
Since this is a Beta product, there is no direct support from Microsoft.
But Microsoft has provided these newsgroups for support among other things.
Anything Microsoft could have provided with direct support is available in
these newsgroups.
If Microsoft had direct support available, the answers would still be the
same...your data is gone.
Microsoft will directly support the final product.
This is not unique to this Beta, this is normal for all Beta products.

Bill Sanderson

I've posted in an earlier message in this thread the information in the
known issues posted at the web download site and in the program help about
this issue.