Anthem

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
So, looks like England may get it's own Anthem. Currently 'Jerusalem' is the unofficial anthem and imo it's a fine song, if it's good enough for John Otway to perform then it's good enough for me ;) Let's have suggestions, frivolous, for real or even downright insulting (God Save The Queen? lol). I'm thinking Waterloo Sunset, All You Need Is Love, but I am of an age and I'm sure there must be some newer ideas - give it some thought....

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
As long as its not this then I'll be fine with anything.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Leave it out Mucks, the geezer's a sweaty singing about a Jock poet, lol, we are talking English old boy :D

Vindaloo? Hmm...

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
Wow. Honestly I never knew Britain doesn't have a national anthem. I always thought it was that one about Britannia ruling the waves.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wow. Honestly I never knew Britain doesn't have a national anthem. I always thought it was that one about Britannia ruling the waves.

Ah, but Britain does have a National Anthem, it's that one about God Save Liz and when they play it at the cinema when it's time to go home everybody has to stand up and stay still. People still do that don't they? ;)

We are talking England here which is one quarter of Britain.

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
I must admit when it comes to England/Britain/UK geography, I am hopelessly clueless.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I must admit when it comes to England/Britain/UK geography, I am hopelessly clueless.

This might help :)

British Isles.jpg

Reaction score

original-12657-1407512820-19.jpg

I just found this to put into perspective the size of the UK as against other World leading countries (I cannot believe I have just written that) that map puts in perspective actually how insignificant as a nation we really are and we only have a population of around 64 million not counting illegal immigrants. But there again we have always punched above our weight.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Urmas's map of the UK is superb. :D

And BN's map of the UK superimposed on Texas really does show how small we are. I can remember driving into Texas from Louisiana and seeing a sign saying "El Paso 903 miles". And it's still in Texas, :eek:

Land's End to John O'Groats 874 miles for comparison.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I've been giving some thought to Anthems. To appeal to the "Britannia rules the waves" crowd, I'd maybe go for Queen's

but... looking around the average high street, I'd include the cheeky, politically incorrect option:;)

Ask a Question