Antec PSU died on me

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
430W version, about three years old.

This is the second Antec PSU I've had go belly up on me, had a 350W go about 18 months ago that was four years old.

I'm beginning to wonder about Antec...

Luckily I got a spare Jeantech 300W which should be OK as it's for my daughters machine, not too much in there - 2 optical drives; one IDE HDD; 512Mb memory; floppy drive; 9800 Pro.

So it should be Ok.

What a bummer :(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thats strange, as Antec are what I always think of as one of the best. I wonder if you've been unlucky, or if reliability has dropped over the last few years.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
itsme said:
;) Flops do you have a sound earth connection?

Yes :rolleyes:

Have now got the machine up and running.

I was having trouble with booting, Bios told me something like 'Unsuitable ATAPI device set as boot press F1 to continue'. Which took me into Windows.

There I noticed the Liteon CDRW wasn't recognised, though it was in the Bios.

So I upgraded Bios from V1.6 to V1.8 (Asrock K7VT4-4X board) and it booted without a hitch.

The Liteon drive still wasn't recognised by Windows though.

When I tried to open the tray, it wouldn't.

After a lot of ker-fluffing about, surmised Liteon drive dead. Everything else in machine is Ok.

So, my conclusion is that it's a possibility the Liteon drive went faulty and probably took out one of the PSU rails.

Which leaves me two components down, I guess :(

The Jeantech 300W will have to do for now, may as well replace Liteon CDRW with an NEC 3540 DVDRW, considering the price.

PS: I'm going to open the Antec 430W up, if I'm lucky I may be able to identify an obviously faulty component, maybe a voltage regulator's gone oc,or a cap's blown. Wouldn't hurt to have a quick poke around, anyway, price of the thing ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
PS: I'm going to open the Antec 430W up, if I'm lucky I may be able to identify an obviously faulty component, maybe a voltage regulator's gone oc,or a cap's blown. Wouldn't hurt to have a quick poke around, anyway, price of the thing ;)

EEK :eek: Be careful when you do open that thing!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
haha, I had a big message penned out then remembered it would be like teaching granny to suck eggs ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... about three years old
Oh I don't know, that's petty good when equated to technology years, 30 year old PSU, nearly as old as you Flopps.
hysterical.gif

devil.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
just make sure its completely discharged :thumb:

Er yes, I know ;)

Have a device here, croc clip on a lead, wirewound resistor in old pen case, thin nail at other end of case.

Attach clip to earth, touch capacitor terminal with nail - discharged.

This is how we do it :D

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
do you know what happened to it yet ?

Edit:
eusa_doh.gif
just remembered what you do for a living :blush:

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
do you know what happened to it yet ?

Edit:
eusa_doh.gif
just remembered what you do for a living :blush:

No, I haven't looked at it yet, that's quite enough stuff for one day ;)

But I will get round to having a look at it, I'll let you all know how I get on.

I worked for around seven years bench repairing audio visual equipment, TV's; VCR's; amplifiers, projectors; reel to reel and cassette recorders; basically anything that was used in London Schools.

Then had a stint repairing & installing London Ambulance radios and ended up servicing and repairing loudspeaker networks. Which is kinda where I stayed :)

I've forgotten tons of stuff, but the basics are sort of ingrained I suppose ;)

Ask a Question