Another Cannot Send Mail Post

Malinda

This inability to send email is going on way too long and is effecting my
business. I use Verizon at home with my wireless laptop. Have been
successfully sending & receiving email for years. Then all of the sudden a
couple weeks ago I began getting the following error message (which others
have posted as well):
The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'SENDING FROM SHOP EMAIL
VIA LAPTOP', Account: 'mail.icecreamshop.com', Server:
'mail.icecreamshop.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket
Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I have tried the suggestion posted on this forum to change the SMTP port
number from 25 to 587. This did not fix the problem. Same error message only
now the port is listed as 587.

I also read and followed the link about Verizon's server being down.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24449579-Verizon-Webmail-Down
Is THIS what continues to effect my situation? Should I be contacting Verizon?

As as aside, I also have a Verizon USB mobile broadband modem. This works
fine for SENDING and receiving email. So I do have a work around in a pinch
but I really want to go back to sending as usual from my home. Please advise.
Thank you.

Malinda

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Icecreamshop.com is not your ISP. As such, your home ISP will block
your use of any port 25 SMTP server other than their own.
For an explanation of this anti-spamming policy, see
http://www.postcastserver.com/help/Port_25_Blocking.aspx

I had no trouble connecting to mail.icecreamshop.com on port 25
because my ISP doesn't block it.
Port 587 won't work because the host for icecreamshop.com
does not support it.

To send from home, you will have to substitute your home ISP's
SMTP server (outgoing,verizon.net). If you need help with that, let us
know.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Malinda" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Gary, thanks for your reply. It makes sense but I gave it my best shot
and changing my outgoing mail server to verizon.net did not fix the problem.
I will contact my webhost (I own my domain name icecreamshop.com) and see if
he has any suggestions. After that I will call Verizon.

Malinda

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Contact your webhost and ask for an SMTP port other than 25.

The Verizon server should have worked. If you need more help with that,
post the complete error message.