Annoying Error Message

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just occasionally, I get this annoying little error message - usually it pops up just as I close IE6. :( Not every time though. It seems to be random - I cannot link it with any particular website or activity. The anti-virus and anti spyware doesn't usually throw up anything more than a few tracking cookies, so just wondered whether anyone might know what this is please? Thank you for looking.:thumb:

The instruction at "0x1001cd11" referenced memory at "0x1001cd11". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program

Reaction score
did a search found this

This taken from doing a search of your problem on a few search engines:thumb:

"Could be malware, but there is also the possibility of Internet Explorer being corrupted.
Please attempt to reinstall Internet Explorer. Click Start, Run and entering the following command:
rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf
You will need to have your XP CD available"

Note: You do this at your own risk.

Last edited:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Feckit, when I previously "Googled" it, I saw that it could be malware, etc., hence my aforementioned checks. I didn't know about the possibility of IE being corrupted though, so I have made a note of your instructions, thank you very much for those. :thumb: I'll give them a go if the message appears more frequently (and when I'm feeling brave!! :D ) Thanks again for your time, much appreciated.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What "toolbars" are you using ... not Yahoo by any chance is it?

;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Mucks, no, I always refuse Yahoo toolbar offers - I have only added Google toolbar (which I've had for a few years now.) I run McAfee Site Advisor, which is a much more recent addition, but the message used to appear before I added that.

It's pesky more than anything. Thanks for your interest :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Wondering whether I spoke too soon re "Site Advisor" because it happened again, only this time I realised that the message was headed "SiteAdv.exe - Application Error" followed by "The instruction at "0x76fdc328" referenced memory at "0x00080140". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program" (Different numbers this time.)

I checked out the FAQs on the "Site Advisor" website, but couldn't find anything relevant to my query, so I have emailed their support person. Will post again if they reply - just in case it will be of interest to anyone who might be experiencing the same thing.

:D toodles.

muckshifter

Reaction score
ah ha, SiteAdvisor is technically a 'toolbar' and as such could be the problem.

I strongly suggest using Firefox anyway, and just use IE for the likes of Windows Update, but if you really nead to use IE exclusively then you may have to put up with the 'error' until you do a clean install.

In the meantime, test your memory out with something like memtest, just to be sure.

:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh dear ... I don't know my add-ons from my toolbars, :blush: lol, thanks for putting me right Mucks. :thumb:

I've just Googled "memtest" (which I've not heard of until now) and have just downloaded it - so will now have a bit of a twiddle. It will be interesting to see what is happening (or not) because things have seemed a tad slow recently.

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Oh dear ... I don't know my add-ons from my toolbars, :blush: lol, thanks for putting me right Mucks. :thumb:

I've just Googled "memtest" (which I've not heard of until now) and have just downloaded it - so will now have a bit of a twiddle. It will be interesting to see what is happening (or not) because things have seemed a tad slow recently.
Google is very useful to use:thumb: ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
ah ha, SiteAdvisor is technically a 'toolbar' and as such could be the problem.

I strongly suggest using Firefox anyway, and just use IE for the likes of Windows Update, but if you really nead to use IE exclusively then you may have to put up with the 'error' until you do a clean install.

In the meantime, test your memory out with something like memtest, just to be sure.

:thumb:

Wow Mucks!!! I have just installed Firefox (on the 2nd PC whilst I was running Memtest on the other) and cannot believe how speedy it is! Thanks so much for recommending it
bowdown.gif
- I'm going to install it on the other one now that I've given it a go. It's the best thing I've done all week! ...... well ok, it's only Tuesday, but I'm feeling really pleased!
laughingsmiley.gif

Oh - and re the Memtest - so far, no errors have been reported :D but I read that it needs to run for as long as possible, so will bear that in mind.

Big Thank YOU!!

muckshifter

Reaction score
LoL ... another convertee. :thumb:

You can 'plug-in' SiteAdvisor and Google Toolbar too ... do not be surprised if you get a yellow bar across the top saying you need a 'plug-in' my advice there is don't ... if the site wants to use those silly activeX crap then bully for them, I don't. ;)

user.gif

Reaction score
Firefox

Taffycat welcome to the world of Firefox :thumb:
Know only use IE6 for MS updates, oh and when i forget :D

Ask a Question