AMI BIOS setting question

BP

AMI 2003 Revision 1021 BIOS.
P4C800-E Deluxe Mainboard

If anyone has this BIOS and/or mainbord, where is the "WAke on LAN" setting
enabled or disabled?
TIA

Paul

"BP" said:
AMI 2003 Revision 1021 BIOS.
P4C800-E Deluxe Mainboard

If anyone has this BIOS and/or mainbord, where is the "WAke on LAN" setting
enabled or disabled?
TIA

"Power on by PCI Devices" [Enabled]

Power on by PCI Devices, enabled PME from PCI slots, and
also handles the PME signal coming from the LAN chip.
That is why it is needed to support Wake On LAN.

Then go into Windows and set the LAN interface, with
stuff like "Allow Windows to..." and maybe a "Magic Packet"
setting somewhere. You probably already know that part.

Paul

BP

Paul said:
"BP" said:
AMI 2003 Revision 1021 BIOS.
P4C800-E Deluxe Mainboard

If anyone has this BIOS and/or mainbord, where is the "WAke on LAN"
setting
enabled or disabled?
TIA

"Power on by PCI Devices" [Enabled]

Power on by PCI Devices, enabled PME from PCI slots, and
also handles the PME signal coming from the LAN chip.
That is why it is needed to support Wake On LAN.

Then go into Windows and set the LAN interface, with
stuff like "Allow Windows to..." and maybe a "Magic Packet"
setting somewhere. You probably already know that part.

Paul

I thought I did. I'm trying to get the LAN NIC to turn off when I shut down.
I've got everything disabled and the thing still stays on. I was hoping I
missed something obvious. It's got to be a damned XP Networking setting
somewhere. Fate worse than death.

nos1eep

It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:52:29
-0500, in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "BP"
<[email protected]> spewed the following:

||I thought I did. I'm trying to get the LAN NIC to turn off when I shut down.
|I've got everything disabled and the thing still stays on. I was hoping I
|missed something obvious. It's got to be a damned XP Networking setting
|somewhere. Fate worse than death.
In XP, go to Network Connections, right click the adapter, properties.
Click the Advanced tab, there is a wake on LAN from power off setting.

BP

--

I've done that previously. There are two settings related to waking: "Wake
on Link" = disabled , "Wake on Settings" = OS Controlled. I did change "wake

David Maynard

BP said:
I've done that previously. There are two settings related to waking: "Wake
on Link" = disabled , "Wake on Settings" = OS Controlled. I did change "wake
on settings" to Disabled, no change.
I am almost sure that I've got all of the BIOS and OS settings correct. The
demon just does not repond normally.
Now I'm thinking I may need to reinstall the adapter, assuming a driver
corruption. Kidding myself?

Is the NIC waking the computer up or are you just trying to get the LED to
go out?

BP

David Maynard said:
Is the NIC waking the computer up or are you just trying to get the LED to
go out?

The (on-board) NIC is not waking the computer up.
I am trying to get the LED on the NIC to go out.
But, I want the second computer that is networked to this computer to:
1) Stop reporting that the LAN is connected, when it is not (the computer is
off, not standby, not hibernate: off).
2) Report that "a network cable is unplugged" when the computer is shut off.
Neither will happen as long as the NIC is powered on when the computer is
shut down. So it's not just a matter of getting the LED to go out, it's a
matter of getting the NIC to shut off.
The second computer shuts down completely and is the ICS computer, so I've
eliminated the possibility that it is still communicating with the problem
box after shutdown.
Thanks

David Maynard

BP said:
The (on-board) NIC is not waking the computer up.

OK, well, the reason I asked is a setting that 'disables' wake on LAN can
be 'disabling' it without necessarily powering it down.
I am trying to get the LED on the NIC to go out.
But, I want the second computer that is networked to this computer to:
1) Stop reporting that the LAN is connected, when it is not (the computer is
off, not standby, not hibernate: off).
2) Report that "a network cable is unplugged" when the computer is shut off.
Neither will happen as long as the NIC is powered on when the computer is
shut down. So it's not just a matter of getting the LED to go out, it's a
matter of getting the NIC to shut off.
The second computer shuts down completely and is the ICS computer, so I've
eliminated the possibility that it is still communicating with the problem
box after shutdown.
Thanks

It's not 'communicating' with the 'problem' machine if it isn't on,
regardless of the NIC being powered, if that's your worry.

BP

David Maynard said:
OK, well, the reason I asked is a setting that 'disables' wake on LAN can
be 'disabling' it without necessarily powering it down.

It's not 'communicating' with the 'problem' machine if it isn't on,
regardless of the NIC being powered, if that's your worry.
Not worried about that. I want to get the NIC to turn off.

nos1eep

It is further alleged that on or about Thu, 2 Mar 2006 08:43:28 -0500,
in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "BP"
<[email protected]> spewed the following:

|>>>>>|

|>> The (on-board) NIC is not waking the computer up.
|>
|> OK, well, the reason I asked is a setting that 'disables' wake on LAN can
|> be 'disabling' it without necessarily powering it down.
|>
|>> I am trying to get the LED on the NIC to go out.
|>> But, I want the second computer that is networked to this computer to:
|>> 1) Stop reporting that the LAN is connected, when it is not (the computer
|>> is off, not standby, not hibernate: off).
|>> 2) Report that "a network cable is unplugged" when the computer is shut
|>> off.
|>> Neither will happen as long as the NIC is powered on when the computer is
|>> shut down. So it's not just a matter of getting the LED to go out, it's a
|>> matter of getting the NIC to shut off.
|>> The second computer shuts down completely and is the ICS computer, so
|>> I've eliminated the possibility that it is still communicating with the
|>> problem box after shutdown.
|>> Thanks
|>
|> It's not 'communicating' with the 'problem' machine if it isn't on,
|> regardless of the NIC being powered, if that's your worry.
|>
|Not worried about that. I want to get the NIC to turn off.

Unplug it.

BP

David Maynard said:
Since there aren't any ill effects it seems a bit like a want without a
reason.
I understand what you mean by no ill effects, but there is a reason: Up
until now I have been able to remotely monitor whether this computer (#2) is
being used by noting it's connection status on my computer (#1). When some
one turned on #2 the red X would go out and the icon would show connected on
#1. When they shut down the icon on #1 would X out again. Very handy. You
could look and see if #2 was on or off. Now, after some unintended change,
the connection icon shows the #2 computer connected whether it is on or off.
If I want to retrieve files from that computer I have to physically go and
check to see if it is on or off. Not Handy. The reason is that the NIC on #2
stays on after the computer shuts down. What is more annoying is that when
#2 is shutting down the connection's icon on #1 x's out briefly, then shows
connected, and a bubble note comes on telling me that the connection is now
active at 100Mpbs! It is not.
This is not normal. I will find a way to fix it, one way or another.

BP

JAD said:
shut down the router or modem.... LED maybe powered from there.
I've tried shutting down everything except the problem PC. The NIC is live
without the other computer on or any USB devices plugged in.
The LED is not the problem. The network adapter is communicating to the
other computers that it active and connected when the computer it is
attached to is off. The LED is doing what it's supposed to do: indicate the
NIC is active. I don't want to pretend the connection is off. I want to
actually shut it off when the computer is shut off.

Spike

From: nos1eep <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: AMI BIOS setting question
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:27:06 -0600

i'll need that later, see you around,
spike

Spike said:
Well aren't you a bright boy?
You come up with that all by your self?
Good answer, perhaps your best post all year.

spike
Feel Free To Visit, my Homepage with a new Section About Net-Twits
http://thevandalnextdoordeaththreatsandmore.asar-intl.com/

nos1eep

It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 7 Mar 2006 09:03:54 -0500,
in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "Spike"
<[email protected]> spewed the following:

|Well aren't you a bright boy?
|You come up with that all by your self?
|Good answer, perhaps your best post all year.
|
|spike

It was the best answer the paranoid **** will ever get. As for you,
you may have just cast the most pathetic troll of the year.//

Fetch, you top poasting salami sucker.

BP

nos1eep said:
It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 7 Mar 2006 09:03:54 -0500,
in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "Spike"
<[email protected]> spewed the following:

|Well aren't you a bright boy?
|You come up with that all by your self?
|Good answer, perhaps your best post all year.
|
|spike

It was the best answer the paranoid **** will ever get. As for you,
you may have just cast the most pathetic troll of the year.//

Fetch, you top poasting salami sucker.
Paranoid?
Ya see, you never understood the question.
And you don't know the answer.
A common bridge troll.
Begone

nos1eep

It is further alleged that on or about Wed, 8 Mar 2006 07:11:13 -0500,
in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "BP"
<[email protected]> spewed the following:

||> It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 7 Mar 2006 09:03:54 -0500,
|> in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "Spike"
|> <[email protected]> spewed the following:
|>
|> |Well aren't you a bright boy?
|> |You come up with that all by your self?
|> |Good answer, perhaps your best post all year.
|> |
|> |spike
|>
|> It was the best answer the paranoid **** will ever get. As for you,
|> you may have just cast the most pathetic troll of the year.//
|>
|> Fetch, you top poasting salami sucker.
|>
|Paranoid?
|Ya see, you never understood the question.
|And you don't know the answer.
|A common bridge troll.
|Begone

Oh, I understood. The itsy-bitsy tiny little lights ****ed with your
<uh-hum> mind, you mental ****. The answer (and I will type slow so
that you do not miss anything) is shut the ****ing power off.

BP

nos1eep said:
It is further alleged that on or about Wed, 8 Mar 2006 07:11:13 -0500,
in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "BP"
<[email protected]> spewed the following:

||> It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 7 Mar 2006 09:03:54 -0500,
|> in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "Spike"
|> <[email protected]> spewed the following:
|>
|> |Well aren't you a bright boy?
|> |You come up with that all by your self?
|> |Good answer, perhaps your best post all year.
|> |
|> |spike
|>
|> It was the best answer the paranoid **** will ever get. As for you,
|> you may have just cast the most pathetic troll of the year.//
|>
|> Fetch, you top poasting salami sucker.
|>
|Paranoid?
|Ya see, you never understood the question.
|And you don't know the answer.
|A common bridge troll.
|Begone

Oh, I understood. The itsy-bitsy tiny little lights ****ed with your
<uh-hum> mind, you mental ****. The answer (and I will type slow so
that you do not miss anything) is shut the ****ing power off.

Nope. Still got it wrong there, Stein-Ein.