AMD vs. Intel

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Between AMD Anthlon X2 and Intel Pentium D which one is more powerful?
What is this Intel ?

feckit said:
Depends on configuration of PC and CPU, Motherboard & RAM.
... and who the builder is. ;)

Define "powerful" :p

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
AMD Athlon X2 should be cheaper, run cooler and be better for games.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Check out Intel's Conroe CPU and don't be so sure.

I never thought I'd favour Intel, but maybe they've learnt a few lessons.

Looks like the Conroe will spank AMD's FX-62, check out the Hexus review.

Don't get set in your ways lads, sometimes there are surprises in store ;)

EDIT: Forgot to post Link

muckshifter

Reaction score
Complacent, not me ... however, the FX-62 AM2 is being launched 1 July ... should give AMD a slight edge. :)

There is a lot of new stuff comming ... if Intel regain their 'crown' good for them, shame about the price?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Have a look at the benchmark results Mucks - it pulverises them all including the FX-62 AM2
nod.gif

There's no real need for a summary. The benchmarks tell all. Intel's Conroe simply outmuscles every currently available CPU. Would you buy an AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 now? AMD must be thinking that K8-L can't come soon enough
However I would imagine the Intel chip is gonna cost a small fortune.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm pleasantly surprised by those benchmarks - I do hope Intel can now compete on price as well as performance though. Fingers crossed :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Sorry Ady, I did look at the 'benchies' and they never impress me one bit ... I can never understand what the difference is between 43.31 & 44.41 ... oh hang on, it's 1.1 ... ;) So what?

They ALL play the numbers game, and have done for 20 years ... most Joe Blogs play a numbers game too ... how much does it cost?

I have a PC base unit here, it cost just over £100 ... it does what is needed. :p

Nice to have competition though. :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Your right of course, for most people that chip will be way out of reach - but think of the crunching power ;)

*Ady goes off to raid his piggy bank*

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I'm pleasantly surprised by those benchmarks - I do hope Intel can now compete on price as well as performance though. Fingers crossed :)

Pardon a tourist... but after sitting thru several dog and pony shows in the past week, you will find that AMD and Intel are now going to be priced on par with each other. he days of a 30% premium by Intel ( or discount by AMD ) which AMD had to have as it clawed its way to mainstream success are gone.

At present as much as I hate to say it being an OLD AMD fan ... the performance to dollar ratio has swung to Intel. Currently Intel 930 is 237.00 CDN vs an AMD 3800 Dualie for 337.00CDN.

One of the main benefits of using AMD was the abundance of cheap DDR Ram, and now that AMD has joined the DDR2 fold AMD is becoming a tad expensive ... at least from where I sit.

Reaction score
the pentium d's (even the 9's) can only beat the x2's on video encoding and stuff. hardcore tasks.

I think you are forgetting how big Intel is as well. They can afford to subsidise their Conroes considerably more than AMD could ever do with their X2s. They are killing off most processors, with the P4 6 series (2MB cache) being relegated to entry level - their price for the 661 (3.6ghz) are being slashed from $400 to $183.
You can already get a Celeron for £25, and even if Celerons are unusably crap, that is cheap.

On top of that the Conroes are being sold underclocked. The 2.6ghz part can reach 4.6ghz with light water cooling. AMD are still trying to wring more from their 90nm process as well, and I think that we will not see any X2s going far beyond 3.4ghz. Possibly 3.6ghz.

The new socket AM2 has made bugger all difference to be frank, though they do now have a new chipset (nvidia 5) and there is 10gb/s possible memory bandwidth due to the ddr-2 memory capability.

The K8L (updated athlon) is not going to be introduced until the end of the year, and unless AMD can pull that forward they are going to be steamrollered by intel for the next 4- 5 months, and even then apparently the K8L will still not be good enough to take the 'performance crown'.

heh. sorry that was so lengthy :blush:

Last edited:

Ask a Question