AMD ships first Fusion chips

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
By John Morris | November 9, 2010, 1:22pm PST

Earlier today AMD shipped its first Fusion processors, which combine a CPU with a discrete GPU on a single chip, to customers. Those first APUs, or Accelerated Processing Units, will be available starting in January in some 100 different designs including ultra-thin laptops that AMD claims will deliver nine hours of battery life.

This was one of several announcements AMD made at its annual analyst’s day earlier today, which was streamed live online (the full presentations are available here). Other highlights included demonstrations of next-year’s Llano quad-core laptop APU and Zambezi 8-core desktop platform, updated laptop and desktop roadmaps through 2012 with some previously unannounced products that will extend to tablets, and a shift starting late next year to 28nm process technology.

The APUs that began shipping today are part of the Brazos platform using low-power Bobcat cores and a DirectX 11 GPU. This includes the single-core Ontario (rated at 9 watts) for netbooks and dual-core Zacate (18W) for ultra-thin laptops. Because AMD is using TSMC’s existing 40nm manufacturing process–the same one used for Radeon GPUs–it was able to move these APUs from design to production in about half the typical time. These will be followed in 2012 by Krishna and Wichita, APUs with one to four CPUs that will be targeted not only at netbooks and ultraportables, but also tablet PCs. These will be manufactured using a 28nm “half-node” process and CEO Dirk Meyer said production of low-power 28nm APUs would start by the end of 2011.

Full story well worth a read ...

:user:

hope they have some one who can write drivers now :lol:
yes, I know I cruel, but one day we may see ... pigs flying!

:wave:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I see those pigs flying in my crystal ball :D

Those chips were made for Apple, read this.....

PCMag article

Ask a Question