AMD chip showing wrong speed

Reaction score
i am running a amd2.8 xp barton chip and was wondering why it is running at only 1.2 my main board is a asus x series its sending me :crazy: any help or advice most welcome cheers

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
A few possibilities here ...

The 2.8 Barton is a 333FSB CPU and with the Asus you need to be using at least 333 (2700) memory ... are you?

The BIOS, Advanced Menu, should be set to 166 not 133 ... 166 is the correct setting for a Barton.

You may need to “flash” the BIOS to get support for the newer CPU’s

... hopefully you haven't bought a 're-marked CPU' very rare if bought from a reputable retailer.

Let us know.

Reaction score
You probably neglected to manually set your FSB to 166MHz. A lot of boards nowadays dont seem to properly automatically detect the CPU speed on the first boot up after putting things together.

Reaction score
Hi, new to this forum and i just built an amd unit with the 2800+ as well, but with an abit board. I also have the same problem as you, if i figure it out i will be sure to post

Specs

Abit modo
amd 2800 barton
768 2700 speed ddr
nvidia 5200 video card (soon to be upgraded)

Reaction score
I think that a new bios version should sort it, also try the optimal settings from the bios menu.

Phil

Reaction score
Be careful, I had the same issue with a shiny new AMD 3200+ which was massively under recording, flashed the BIOS (nothing) then upped the clock and BLAMMO - one dead CPU and a £130 crater in my wallet.

When manuals say 'don't attempt this if you don't know what you're doing' they actually mean it.

Ask a Question